Archinect
anchor

Details about every M.Arch Program (size, approach to design, etc.)

ham17

Hey again, 

I'm applying to grad school for the Fall of 2022 and wanted to make a thread detailing various school's approach to design, size, etc. I've found that open houses start from September through November, but this semester is going to be hectic (returning to in-person classes and studios amongst other things) so I wanted to get ahead of it. 

I've spent a while combing through programs' websites but I actually found that threads on Archinect paint a much clearer picture, since most people on here are grads and went through these schools. This is a thread meant for everybody applying in the fall and beyond, so if you see a school you're interested in definitely bring it up since I'm sure other people will want to see discussions about it.

I'm sure each program offers an amazing overall architectural design education, but I'm just trying to think about what they're known for as I look for the kind of program that would suit me the best. From what I've heard (in no particular order): 

Berkeley - SF Bay Area, bigger program (number of enrolled grad students), focuses on theory, leads in sustainability + environmental design

GSD - Boston Area, bigger program, critical education and theory

GSAPP - NYC, bigger program, ?

UPenn - Phili, ? sized, focuses on developing technical skill?

Yale - New Haven, smaller program, ?

MIT - Boston Area, smaller program, technology and research focused

Princeton - Princeton, ? program, ?

UCLA - LA, ? program, ?

UMICH - Ann Arbor/Detriot, medium program, technology focused

SCI-Arc - LA, medium program, new experimental architecture

Pratt - NYC, large program, ?

RISD - Providence, medium-small program, ?

etc.

Add more please! Also I could be totally wrong so please comment if you have anything to add or don't agree with what I've written!

Jul 14, 21 1:27 am
natematt

It does not seem that you have in fact gotten much info out of the websites or Archinect, most of these you're just stating the name of the school and a general location. 

Some of the information you have indicated is a little sketchy too... for example... I think GSAPP has a smaller size program for those on this list... and UMICH architecture is really in the Ann Arbor campus, not Detroit, these are just the things I know off hand. 

Jul 14, 21 4:14 am  · 
 · 
ham17

Thanks for the response, sorry if there is any information that isn't completely accurate. I didn't want to misrepresent the programs or their philosophies but I also didn't want to leave a blank list of schools so I wrote down what I knew. Appreciate the info, I can make a post with more information when I have time later in the week in case it seems a bit sparce.

Jul 14, 21 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Put the effort in your application docs and folio instead.

Jul 14, 21 9:28 am  · 
3  · 
ham17

Fair enough lol. I'll save this for the days imposter syndrome hits and I need to find more programs to look into

Jul 14, 21 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like the question marks. 

Jul 14, 21 6:10 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Is princeton... princeton?

Jul 14, 21 11:32 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

could be. it could also be princeton.

Jul 14, 21 11:43 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

possibly a program, though.

Jul 14, 21 11:56 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

but would princeton, if it is princeton, spell program as programme? I hear that they might be a fancy place.

Jul 14, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Princetonne

Jul 14, 21 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, à tonne you say? How french.

Jul 14, 21 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Questions

why are you doing this

Jul 14, 21 1:02 pm  · 
3  · 
ujs01

lol

Jul 14, 21 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

needs to, at least, include tuition fees and scholarship options...and the (in)famous archinect diversity labels obviously, the distance to the nearest strip joint (f/m/x) is also of vital importance for either entertainment and/or networking and/or job opportunities. put it all in a public google spreadsheet so people can help you out when they don’t have anything better to do/have an imposter syndrome outbreak...

Jul 14, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

rando, don't know how much exp you have with m'erican strip joints... but they are likely not the same as the ones in your backyard.

Jul 14, 21 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I don’t have any experience with strip clubs, either in the old or the new world, but my girlfriend does...

Jul 14, 21 3:24 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

There was a fairly renowned local firm who had a bit of a reputation for holding "official" happy hours at a nearby strip club. A few years later one of the founders was very quietly ejected, but everybody knew why.

Jul 14, 21 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ham17

I made a really detailed spreadsheet for college apps, not sure how I hadn't thought about doing the same for grad programs. Good call, will post one in the coming days

Jul 14, 21 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
hiall

hey please add me to your spreadsheet, I will take a look when It's all done!

Jul 14, 21 10:08 pm  · 
1  · 
ham17

https://docs.google.com/spread...

Some general info to get started, feel free to add what you know. Its anonymous and the link allows access to edit, so it goes without saying to please keep the additions helpful. Hopefully this can be a useful tool for ppl who are considering grad school so let's keep it civil. 

Jul 19, 21 1:26 am  · 
2  · 
dsh_

good idea :)

Jul 20, 21 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Glad to be of some help...”all in a days work for bicycle repair man” https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2howud

Jul 23, 21 3:07 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Just looking at those prices for the USA schools will beat any cold shower if you need to wake up quickly.

Jul 23, 21 8:18 am  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

Best way is to get your employer to pay for your schooling :)

Jul 23, 21 10:39 am  · 
 · 

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... you don't need to go to a top school (private or public) to be an architect ... or even a good architect. The in-state tuition at some of those schools is more than the out-of-state tuition at my alma mater. In-state tuition for arch students for the academic year at my alma mater is less than 1/2 of that of the in-state tuition for the schools that have that on the list and more than 1/4 less than the standard rates for most of the schools on the list.

Pass rates from my school tend to be better than the national average according to NCARB. I've worked/work at some of the top architecture firms in the US on work that you'd recognize from the magazines and awards; same can be said for some of my classmates. You don't need to pay anywhere close to $50k/year to become a good architect.

Jul 23, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
ham17

@Everyday + anyone else, if you feel inclined to put information about your alma matter on the spreadsheet please feel free to do so. Tuition is something I've been trying to plan out since undergrad so any alternatives would be much appreciated (I got into a few 5-year B.Arch programs at private universities that would've ended up being more expensive than the 4+2 route at public universities with scholarship option I elected to go with).

Jul 24, 21 4:10 am  · 
 · 
ODMA

I would suggest doing this on Wikipedia, for at least some (perhaps not all) of the variables you have here. I did it for my own country, only 6 schools so not so hard, but a public resource would be useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

Jul 23, 21 7:22 am  · 
 · 
ham17

https://www.architectureisfree...

Just randomly found this website, I think it is perfect for this discussion and may warrant a thread of its own. 

From what I can gather, "Architectureisfree" is a nonprofit org that provides free information on the undergrad and graduate-level architecture admissions process. Definitely check out their presentations as well as their free lectures and articles. 

Jul 26, 21 4:35 am  · 
ujs01

Thank you for this! Really a good index of information to learn from.

Jul 26, 21 10:01 pm  · 
1  · 

Check out https://studyarchitecture.com/. Sponsored by ACSA and has a lot of useful information. Using their "Where to Study" tool you can search and filter schools by location/region, state, degree program, area of focus, school opportunities, school facilities, and tuition range.

Jul 26, 21 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: