Archinect
anchor

how long should i stay (first job)?

leonizer

I'm contemplating how long I should stay in my office, this is my first job in the architecture field. Currently been here for for 3 years, its a small office <6 people. Since it is a small office, I get to fill alot of shoes and responsibilities, and basically do a bit of everything from design, construction documentation and project management/contract admin. etc. Recently, i've had a recruiter contact me that wants to work with me and says they can set me up in a bigger office with bigger salary. They are good respectable design firms according to my research.  

I'm currently content with my role in my small office and have developed good relationship with my principal. Is it wrong to feel like I am betraying him by moving on? Also I feel there is more I can learn here in this smaller office. Is it too early to move on? 

Jul 5, 21 10:36 am
Non Sequitur

I get recruiters emailing me weekly... as I'm sure many here do as well.  First things first, you need to chase opportunities at the same time as salary increases.  Is this recruiter looking to fill production seats or are they looking for something specific?  If it's the former, run.

An important thing when you're in your first few years is seeing projects from concept to competition.  You get loads of experience and get to see which parts of the profession you prefer.  This is very hard to do in large offices with heavy structure and staffing divisions.

Jul 5, 21 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
justavisual

If you like your job dont leave.

Jul 5, 21 11:08 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

Stay until you’re not learning anything anymore or you become unhappy with what you’re doing. Finding a firm that is a good fit with people and work you enjoy is rare. Soak it up.

Jul 5, 21 12:07 pm  · 
3  · 
bofillintheblank

Sounds great. What type of work? I think moving around to gain experience in other types of buildings would help early to not be stuck in one type of building. Anyone stuck in retail production get your CD hours and run...or two years just to show you ain't a flake.

Jul 5, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: