Archinect
anchor

First year vacation

ArchKid

Can employers legally not allow you to take vacation your first year of employment? I seen couple firms that said “new employees receive # weeks of paid vacation after their first year on the job“

This sucks. 

Jun 26, 21 7:30 pm
Non Sequitur

some places will start accruing vacation days after a certain time.  We don’t allow vacation with the first 3 months and after that, you accumulate 1.25 day per month (or something like that). It also depends on the start date so you may get no vacation days if you start in October. 

Jun 26, 21 8:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

You must be in the US? I am, and yes, employers are not required to provide vacation time. Consider our colleagues on the construction side who rarely get vacation time at all, no matter how many years invested. You can look around; other firms will have more generous policies. 

Jun 27, 21 8:37 am  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

I’m in Toronto actually. I was just browsing through couple firms benefits. Some of them have this rule

Jun 27, 21 11:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

no vacation in the first year, that’s fucking slavery... here in the Netherlands even interns have all the rights to their paid vacation.

Jun 27, 21 11:27 am  · 
1  · 
RJ87

Not accruing any vacation time for the first 90 days is pretty standard. It's so that they don't have to pay out your vacation time if they fire you at your 90 day review. A year seems a bit much though. I would also point out that unless you're trying to be a martyr for change, if you want to work there it doesn't matter what they can "legally" do. If they say no vacation it is what it is unfortunately.

Jun 28, 21 9:56 am  · 
 · 

As others have stated, not allowing you to take vacation for a year is rather odd.  I would ask for clarification from your firm leadership.  It may be how the firm views vacation being accrued.  IE - instead of getting so many hours each month you get it all at the end of the year. 

If the firm simply doesn't allow you take vacation for the first year of employment I would take a hard look at the firm culture.  This could be a red flag that the firm management views staff as nothing more than a sharpened pencil to be used.

Jun 28, 21 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

I used to work for a firm that had this rule. But I ended up leaving after 9 months. They just paid for my 9 months of vacation that I accumulated. 

But I wasn't allowed to take a vacation my first year. Which is stupid

Jun 30, 21 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: