Archinect
anchor

Are moss walls a do-able product for exteriors of a building?

sonaila

I did my thesis on bio integrated design focused on the facade. It did a whole lot of research backed up by a bunch of published works to justify why and how moss walls can be practically used in our future designs, especially in areas where a lot of undrinkable water goes to waste. 

A few months after, i decided to make this a viable product that could actually have some sort of bearing on construction. According to my research, moss is able to absorb a certain amount of air pollutants and actually make the air around the installation cleaner. It provides good insulation, it has good absorbing qualities, and is very resilient in varying degrees of harsh temperatures. 

Now the problem is, as i have been finding out about projects around the world that actually carried out this experiment and found out that there was no change in the air quality. They spent a lot of money on it, wasted a lot of water and the end of the day had to kill the project. https://www.bewonersraad1011.amsterdam/citytrees-werken-echt-niet/.

There was also a similar one that also failed. Which brings me to my question of, Is this idea worth exploring more? If it even has a glimmer of hope in making it work as an air purifying cladding wall, I'll do it, but so far all i'm seeing is failed attempts.

I haven't made the actual panel yet, and haven't tested it myself. I'm just worried that if i spend so much time on something that already failed elsewhere, it would be of no use. 

Any and all thoughts are deeply appreciated. Image attached is a render from the conceptual design.

Jun 23, 21 2:32 pm
SneakyPete

The amount of plants needed to clean the air isn't feasible. There are plenty of other benefits for plants, but air quality is pretty much a myth.

Jun 23, 21 2:49 pm  · 
3  · 
sonaila

Another person linked me a few articles on this yes. Maybe i can reframe the benefit for these walls.

Jun 24, 21 6:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I prefer my buildings to have systems that are reliable, easy to maintain, and that won't die if the custodians forget to water them.

Jun 23, 21 2:53 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

True and worse.... won't die off if the custodian decides to use moss killer chemicals when cleaning the wall thinking the moss is to be removed and under traditional custodial practices, moss is a weed to be killed and removed so they'll probably pressure wash that wall and there goes the moss. In my experience, you'll probably want to use durable material like basalt rocks and probably drystack it. If the blocks are using interlocking blocks (shape the blocks to interlock) and have a batter to the wall for stability and all.... you probably ok but I don't know the overall architectural program (not talking about the degree program). Concrete (well the cement part) will likely deteriorate over time with moss on it... something akin to chemical based interaction. Stone blocks tend to last an extremely long time and mortar will deteriorate more quickly to the chemical of the moss.

Jun 23, 21 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
sonaila

this is a completely different argument though. The whole point of bio integrated architecture is to challenge what people perceive to be weed or non-weed. The idea that we're working towards is to welcome moss/creeper plants instead of create a stubborn material that blocks and rejects it completely

Jun 24, 21 6:44 am  · 
 · 
sonaila

Fair. If the system was completely reliable and irrigation system was automated would you think differently?

Jun 24, 21 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The only real benefit here is eye candy.

Jun 24, 21 6:57 am  · 
 · 

There are living wall systems (including moss)  already developed that are commercially available and plenty of example projects to choose from if you want to evaluate whether they are feasible or not. Try starting with what they don't do, or don't do well, before you try to reinvent that wheel.

Also, +1 on the air quality myth. IIRC the myth stems from a NASA study that found certain plants could remove VOC pollutants from the air, but I think the deal is they were using a specific soil/planting medium that was the source of the majority of the claimed benefits. Also the plant density thing SneakyPete mentioned.

Edit to add a few articles debunking the air quality claim:

https://www.theatlantic.com/sc...

https://www.gardenmyths.com/ga...

Jun 23, 21 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 
sonaila

thanks. this helps, can you link me to a few of the projects you mentioned here? The moss wall/ living wall systems that i'm aware of either use preserved dead plants or require a very expensive infrastructure. Please see if the links for those are possible

Jun 24, 21 6:43 am  · 
 · 

"The moss wall/ living wall systems that i'm aware of either use preserved dead plants or require a very expensive infrastructure."

Sounds like you already have some projects to look at. But here's a feature you could have found by searching archinect: https://archinect.com/features/article/150169252/living-walls-balancing-a-plant-centric-process-with-people-centric-design-with-habitat-horticulture-s-david-brenner

Jun 24, 21 11:36 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

you can fit a few trees that grass area.  One tree would probably have more bio mass than a moss wall.  

Jun 23, 21 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I love novelty, but plants usually don’t.

Jun 23, 21 6:19 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

just don’t clean the facade and it will be covered in moss eventually, especially concrete is a good foundation for moss to grow on apparently. Because there are many articles online on how to remove moss from concrete surfaces...

Jun 24, 21 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

While that is true, concrete (albeit a nice surface for moss to grow like granite) will deteriorate (mainly in relationship to the cement deteriorating due to biological/chemical processes of plant growth as well as moisture and so forth against the concrete. While it will take some time to do it, I recommend rock material like granite and basalt being more durable. I would never recommend it against wood walls as the moisture and so forth will deteriorate much faster than even the cement in concrete and mortar material.

Jun 24, 21 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: