Archinect
anchor

Part 1 Architectural Assistant - Advice?

bsproperty

Hi all, 

I have been lurking in this community for some time now and you have been an invaluable source of knowledge. 

I was hoping you could all offer me some advice. 

I graduated with a part 1 BA degree in Architecture in 2018, from a top university with a first-class.

I then worked in practice for one year, 2018 - 2019, then, due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to return home and be a primary caregiver. This also shocked me and I began dealing with my own mental health issues.

As I remained home, I began doing menial jobs to pay the bills, like customer service, as well as doing some property sales - all from home. So essentially from 2019 to 2021 there is a gap unrelated to architecture.

Now, however, I would like to return to architecture-related employment or really just pursue a career again, I am a bit saddened as I am now 25, only completed my part 1, and have a long way to go to become a fully qualified architect.  I will have to fund my Masters and final exam largely myself. But right now, I would like to focus on the first step, which is getting back into employment. 

My question is:

How would I explain the 2 year job gap if they ask? 

Also, I am considering doing another design-related career such as UX, as pursuing architecture now would be both time and money-intensive.

Any words of advice?

Jun 1, 21 10:31 am
Almosthip

Just be honest, employers understand that life happens.

Jun 1, 21 11:42 am  · 
 · 
bsproperty

Thank you, yep - I guess I was just catastrophizing it in my mind. Would you recommend putting it in the cover letter?

Jun 2, 21 7:18 am  · 
 · 
msparchitect

Just tell them you had to provide care for someone else for a period of time. If they don't understand that, you probably don't want to work for them to begin with. 

Jun 1, 21 11:55 am  · 
1  · 

I would put it on your resume as a home health aid.  Mention the gap in your cover letter.  Be honest about everything.  A good employer will understand.  If they don't why would you want to work for them?

Good luck! 

Jun 1, 21 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 
bsproperty

Thank you, yes, I have actually updated my resume based on your recommendation and I am writing it in my cover letter.

Jun 2, 21 7:18 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Just tell them what happened, you can't really discriminate against a situation like that. 

Jun 2, 21 8:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: