Archinect
anchor

Summer internships status - Check?

Kinsbergen

I am curious as to how students are doing in regards to finding internships for the upcoming summer:

-Have you secured a summer internship already?

-Will you be working remotely / hybrid / entirely in the office?

-What type of practice will you be working at?

-Have you received more offers this summer as opposed to the previous one?

May 19, 21 1:47 pm
Non Sequitur

Our office just hired 2 people.  Both started this week 100% remote work but we'll likely be returning to office life soon.

I did a quick check in our recent applications directory not that long ago and a vast majority of what we received since January are from foreign junior applicants seeking international experience.  Talked to some of my colleagues in other offices and it's the same thing there.  Few are local which might just be because students went back home for the year/semester.

May 19, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

So you have students from other countries applying to work remotely for you for the summer? Interesting.

May 19, 21 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

well, not specifically... or at least we don't list it in our file system. Remote work is an on and off thing up here so who ever we hire is expected to eventually physically make it into the office when we get back to normal. I'm training one the new hires and I've spent about 6hrs on the phone since monday.

May 19, 21 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

Nice you are getting back to normal. Did you receive more applications this year as opposed to the previous one? And you've spent 6h on the phone replying to job application calls? Isn't it already too late to call firms at this stage?!

May 19, 21 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

6hrs training the new hire as they get accustomed to the remote working setup and office standards. As far as I know, those we hired recently were interviewed back in march.

May 19, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

We re-hired our winter intern from earlier this year to come intern for the summer. She was really great. We also had someone else reach out last year, but given the pandemic, we couldn't make it happen. Recently we reached out to her to ask if she was still interested in interning, but she had just graduated so we hired her for a full-time role instead. 

For students out there, sometimes firms don't post a formal internship. We often hire students that take the initiative to reach out to us if we see their education and interests align with our work. 

May 19, 21 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

Ok. Just curious, what is the size of your firm? Also, what type of work are you busy with, during this late-Covid period?

May 19, 21 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

swamped... actually. We never slowed down when shit started to get serious but all our one-off commercial/retail/office projects did get paused. We're a mid to large firm for my area (25ish people split between arch and int-des) and do mostly commercial projects but dabble in multi-residential when it suits our larger clients. One type of project that exploded in my market is massive distribution centres. I have well over 2-million sq.ft. of industrial buildings in various stages spread out over 4 different clients. Some are literally across the road from each other. edit.  it's over 3million now.

May 19, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Tyth, similar to Non, we are swamped. My firm is small to mid-sized. (2 offices; 30 people in total.) We do mostly institutional work (colleges, museums, libraries), churches, and very minimal commercial. 

Some clients took advantage of covid (no occupants!) to do renovations that would otherwise reduce their occupiable space for long periods of time. Contractors could work faster because they weren't accommodating visitors (noise restrictions, restricted work hours, etc).

May 19, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: