Archinect
anchor

Internships in Toronto/Canada

ArchiToronto

I'm a first-year MArch student at GSAPP. Because I've been studying remotely from Canada I'm unable to work in the US this summer. I'd assumed this wouldn't be a huge deal; after all, surely there are internships in Canada! Toronto is a big city, I'll be able to find something...

But then I started looking. Nothing. Not even a mention of summer internships on most firms' websites. I've sent my resume around, and haven't heard a peep. Is this a Canadian thing, or just a pandemic thing? I have reason to think that it's not merely a case of being unqualified (despite not having an architectural background, I was able to snag a spot in a well-known New York firm's internship program before realizing the visa situation wouldn't work out).

What gives? Are others having a similar experience?

May 13, 21 1:08 pm
lower.case.yao

Seems a bit late to search for internships now?

May 13, 21 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiToronto

I've been searching since February, and sending out my resume since the beginning of March. I have yet to hear back from a single firm. On the other hand, internship opportunities in the US are still being sent around by the careers office. It seems strange to me that things would work so differently here in Canada, but I guess that's just the way it is.

May 13, 21 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

first thing first, internships are not really a thing in Canada. You’re looking for junior or intro positions but, most temp spots get filled in the early spring / end of winter so offices can plan ahead. You’re probably too late for a 2 or 3 month job. 

But things are very busy. We just hired 2 people this week. Look on the OAA or Raic sites for jobs. 

May 13, 21 1:23 pm  · 
1  · 
ArchiToronto

I must say, I am surprised to hear that there is nothing comparable to the student-oriented internship programs that many firms in New York seem to have. As I mentioned in a reply to another comment, I am still being notified of these kinds of opportunities by my school's career office, despite it being so late in the game. However, all of that is obviously my problem, not the problem of the firms in Toronto.

I have been looking on the OAA website; unfortunately most positions seem to require a completed professional degree and several years' experience, neither of which I yet have.

May 13, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Let me clarify. Internships aka unpaid or slave like work opportunities do not exists here are you’re a fool if you ever agree to one. You need to approach offices from a coop POV

May 13, 21 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Many will

· 
Non Sequitur

Many will

· 
Non Sequitur

Stupid phone. Many will not advertise short-term jobs. Cold calling and asking if they take summer students will get more results than the job search sites. Project demands fluctuate so you could get lucky and hit an office with a large project and short deadline.

May 13, 21 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiToronto

Ahh I see, that makes more sense. Yeah, many of the internships in New York which I've made reference to were paid, but certainly not all of them. I suppose I just expected there to be more clearly laid-out internship programs rather than simply hiring some students on an as-needed basis over the summer.

As for the cold call, I have done a fair bit of that, and I won't give up! Thanks for your insight. 

May 13, 21 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: