Archinect
anchor

Structure name

Doogle797

Ok I have looked everywhere and can’t find it. What do they call the small structures that are placed in front of homes? Usually near the driveway. I’m limited on Space for a house on a pc. Of land and someone suggested one of these for added storage etc....

Mar 25, 21 2:47 pm

Outbuilding

Shed

Shanty

Mailbox

Trash enclosure

Hated Mother in Law Suite

Mar 25, 21 2:51 pm  · 
3  · 
t a z

Do you mean.... 

On-Site Self-Storage Containers?  

i.e. PODS (not sure if the company name is an acronym for something).

https://www.pods.com/storage-s...

Mar 25, 21 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

The small structure in front of my house, next to the driveway is the "garage." I used to see warming huts for kids to wait for the bus, before it became a status symbol for parents to drive their kid to school every day. I know a few people who have built free libraries--tiny structures next to the street. Farm stands are common around here.

Perhaps you're thinking of a gatehouse? The Ames Gate Lodge is my favorite one of those:
 Ames Gate Lodge - Wikipedia

It includes a Porte Cochere, which is like a drive-through garage and might be what you're thinking of. 

Mar 25, 21 3:33 pm  · 
1  · 

The Ames Gate Lodge is cool. It's also huge!

Mar 25, 21 4:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I don't know why the photo didn't stick but yeah, it's a cool building. My college advisor was an HH Richardson scholar and got me excited about his work.

Mar 25, 21 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Porch

mud room

portical

veranda

garage

Mar 25, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

You are all so quaint. My house has a portcullis at the driveway. Never really thought much of the name for the structure that houses it though ...

Gatehouse?

Guardhouse?

Fortification?

Mar 25, 21 3:43 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

In the winter one often sees creches. I've also seen treehouses in front yards on occasion.

Mar 25, 21 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Mailbox?

Mar 25, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

doghouse

Mar 25, 21 4:11 pm  · 
2  · 
Doogle797

All very good comments....and some witty but looking up some of the unknown definitions I haven’t found  an image that matches. I’ll post a pick if I can. 

Mar 25, 21 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Doogle797

here one is

Mar 25, 21 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

what would be the ultimate purpose of this bldg?

Mar 25, 21 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Detaining lesser princesses?

Mar 25, 21 4:45 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I'd call that a faux gatehouse. I'd also avoid any client who wanted a faux gatehouse without an actual walled estate.

Mar 25, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I was thinking it must be the smokers shack

Mar 25, 21 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If I had to guess at the actual use, I'd say it's probably the gardening shack (unless they're so silly they'd make a tiny garage for a motorcycle), but it's clearly intended to look like a gatehouse.

Mar 25, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Here in the boonies we might call that a generator shed. Or the package delivery/pickup/decontamination station.

Mar 25, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Wood Guy, in the hinterlands of MN, little shacks are often built over well pumps to keep them from freezing, but I've never seen anyone try to make the pumphouse an "architectural feature". I also once saw one built over the septic tank cleanouts (it was a cabin being used as a B&B, with an undersized septic tank that needed pumping out much more frequently than most).

Mar 25, 21 5:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

One of my current projects is an addition to a farmhouse built in the late 1700s. The flanking properties' previous owners were the inspiration for the movie, On Golden Pond. I digress... this farm has several outbuildings, including a pump house, which covers the old well; the corn crib, and the milkhouse, plus the barn, stable and woodshed. My own 1820 farmstead has a woodshed, chicken coop, barn and garage. I grew up on a nearby farm and we had a building over the shallow spring where we got our drinking water. At a young age I learned the taste of dead animal and how to fish them out of the spring.

Mar 25, 21 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

I was going to suggest pump house as well, though this would be the fanciest pump house I've ever seen.

Gardener's shed that also houses the irrigation sprinkler controllers so the gardener doesn't need access to the garage?

Mar 25, 21 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Could be. It also looks a bit like an outhouse or a room for smoking meat and cheese. But I think it's supposed to evoke a gatehouse, the way the house is supposed to evoke the French countryside.

I'm always on the lookout for a business name, as I just picked my name as a placeholder when I set up shop years ago. "Gatehouse Design" has a ring to it, don't you think?

Mar 25, 21 6:04 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

My grandparents' farm was right on a lake (I know, a lake in MN? Who'da thunk it?). As a city boy who only visited now and then, I had a distinct distaste for the well water, which didn't taste any different from the lake water.

Mar 25, 21 6:13 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

shipping container?

shed?

Mar 25, 21 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

accessory building  

Mar 25, 21 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Doogle797

yeah I was thinking maybe just gatehouse. I think in this situation there is just limited space for storage, gardening or perhaps golf cart in golf community. 

Mar 25, 21 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: