Archinect
anchor

How much money would I realistically need to have saved to attend GSAPP

orangepeel23

Hello Archinect community! I was recently accepted into GSAPP 3 year March 1 program. I wasn't offered any financial aid but it is my dream school so I'm really trying to go. As a young canadian who's still paying off undergraduate loans how much money would I need to fundraise to be able to realistically attend GSAPP? Thanks to everyone in advance! 

Mar 23, 21 6:17 pm

I feel like if you're qualified to attend GSAPP you should be able to figure this out yourself. It's just a bunch of math problems based on widely available information or estimates based on widely available information.

Mar 23, 21 6:25 pm  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

This. Also pains me to see a fellow Canadian spending foreign US tuition while still holding undergrad debt. School is so much cheaper here. It’s basically free compared to M’erica. You should even be able to earn enough to cover tuition while working 15-20hours part time.

Mar 23, 21 6:48 pm  · 
4  · 
bowling_ball

Ask yourself WHERE you intend to practice. If it's in the US, then I could maybe, possibly, potentially see the case for taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans for the chance to be put on the top of the pile of job applicants. Not smart, but that's just my opinion.

If you're intending to practice in Canada, you would be wasting your time and money. NOBODY here cares about your school, unless they attended the same one. You'd be better off heating your apartment by burning $100 bills. This route is also not smart.

I can tell you, as the guy who does some of the hiring for my mid sized Canadian firm, I do not give even a hint of a flying fuck about what school you went to. NONE. At all. And as a decent human being, I suggest you don't take out any more loans than you absolutely need to, to get through school.

Mar 23, 21 7:48 pm  · 
4  · 
natematt

I'd argue that generally it's a similar stance here in the US though. Most people don't really have much concern about which school, unless maybe it was the one they went to.

Mar 24, 21 3:15 am  · 
3  · 
natematt

I always find the rankings interesting, but no one ever seems to look into all the other data DI collects. They actually collect data on employer hiring practices, explicitly asking what they hire around, and school is mid-low tier on that list. Design quality (portfolio), and past work experience (sorry fresh grads if you don't have any) are the top two by a landslide.

Mar 24, 21 3:23 am  · 
 · 
nastronaut

did youu get into any other schools?

Mar 23, 21 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

Do you ever want to start your own practice or own a house? If so forget Columbia. The people I worked with that went to Columbia had loans of 250k to pay off....maybe talk to Columbia and see if they can offer you some financial help 

Mar 24, 21 5:14 am  · 
1  · 
square.

do not do this. it's really, truly, absolutely not worth it. not only is the debt horrendous, but if your goal is to be in nyc after, don't forget that living in one of the most expensive cities in the usa comes with it's own financial sacrifices, regardless of the debt.

if i was canadian i would jump as the chance for subsided education and healthcare.

Mar 24, 21 8:46 am  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Well I don't know why you bother to ask when GSAPP gives you the number on their website. But I will just give it here for others to see as well.

https://www.arch.columbia.edu/...

And the number is here: 

M.Arch, M.S.HP, M.S.UP, M.S.CCCP

Tuition

Health and Related Services Fee

Health Insurance

University Facilities Fee

Document Fee (one-time)

Combined Tuition and Fees

Living Expenses

Textbooks & Supplies

Commuting

Personal expenses

Loan Fees

Estimated Total

Fall/Spring

$61,080

$1,220* 

$3,676* 

$1,068* 

$105

$67,149

$22,284 (University estimate)

$3,260 (University estimate)

$1,143 (University estimate)

$5,400 (University estimate)

$216 (University estimate)

$99,452

So the answer is almost 100K for a year. And you got 3 years? I don't know how you do it . 300K for M.arch is just LOOOOOL.

Mar 24, 21 9:07 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

50k (total) for a M.arch is about the highest I'd value the degree... x6 that is so far beyond ridiculous.

Mar 24, 21 9:10 am  · 
4  ·  1
square.

glad i'm (closely) within your spectrum of reason! so naturally i agree.

Mar 24, 21 9:12 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^to clarify, that's 50k total net cost after bursaries and whatnot. Anything less is gravy. I think my entire M.arch was under 23k CAD before bursaries.

Mar 24, 21 9:17 am  · 
 · 
square.

yeah, luckily i had pretty good assistantships and other positions that actually reduced the cost a bit lower if you add it all up. and this was a "top" school, though not ivy (thank god).

Mar 24, 21 9:25 am  · 
 · 

I've always like the rule of thumb of don't take out more student debt (total) than your salary (one year) would be at your first job out of school. So if you can, with a straight face, tell everyone you'll be getting a job out of school paying you $300k ... go for it. Realistically though, I think it's probably closer to $50k for most grads in most major cities in the US so I'd say NS's valuation is about right assuming it's just talking debt.

Mar 24, 21 11:27 am  · 
2  · 
proto

@ NS, I down-voted your comment on 50k total as that's the single year cost of basically any out-of-state institution at the moment, much less grad programs and architecture specific. I'm not saying it's right, but it is the current state of things. I appreciate the advice given of "don't sell your soul" but don't pretend anything is cheap these days. [you did say "net"...so maybe i'm overreacting to the number...]

@ OP, be well aware living in NYC isn't exactly cheap & U housing isn't a slam dunk by any means at Columbia

Mar 24, 21 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

not entirely true- i got out of grad school with a little over that amount not too long ago, and it was a "top" private school. but yes, it is not uncommon to see the amounts you are describing.

Mar 24, 21 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
square.

orangepeel, you're setting yourself for indentured servitude, of the worst kind. i have 20% of the debt and can feel the crunch. no "dream" is worth voluntarily taking on this much debt and setting yourself up for an incredibly difficult early career, probably working for some nyc assholes (this city tends to attract them, especially in architecture), making $50k a year (as a reminder, the fiscal consensus is to not take on debt that would exceed your yearly salary), paying minimum $1000/month rent (in a shitty, small apartment with 2-3 roommates) on top of your debt obligation per month.

if anything, before you make this decision, consult the loan agencies and estimate what your monthly costs will be; it will shock you.

Mar 24, 21 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

out of curiosity, what is the average interest% and amortisation for this level of student debt?

Mar 24, 21 9:26 am  · 
 · 
square.

if you're getting them through the department of ed (us govt), it's currently zero because of covid, but around 6% previously. not great, but not as bad as the additional private loans that op would require (can be upwards of 10%). my debt amount was the max permissible loan/year by the govt.

ultimately i feel bad for people like orange, having to make this decision; the schools should be held accountable for perpetuating this fiscal nightmare.

Mar 24, 21 9:28 am  · 
2  · 
lower.case.yao

An m.arch is not worth 300k. Just don’t do it.

Mar 24, 21 9:34 am  · 
2  · 
nastronaut

Columbia is literally the worst ivy when it comes to funding. It doesn't matter how much it costs if the school takes on the bill. If you can get into Columbia, why didn't you apply to MIT, Princeton, or even Yale and Harvard, where they are pretty generous with aid? If you got into another school go there. If you still want a name, wait a year and get into MIT or Princeton. Columbia is undoubtedly a scam that doesn't give out "need-based aid". Literally, the craziest thing I've ever heard from a school that costs 61k to attend. But tbh, you shoulda done research before applying!!! 

Mar 24, 21 1:10 pm  · 
1  · 
hbassal

what about cornell?

Mar 24, 21 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

ehh im not sure about cornell's funding situation

Mar 24, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

OP is Canadian, so international students. And it is for Masters, not undergrad. Which is considered to be luxury rather than necessity. If anyone is very familiar with Ivy Grad school funding. I am very interested to hear. I know there are full rides, but I think the amount of people receiving it is very very few. And is it even available to international students?

Mar 24, 21 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

GSAPP is a poorer school compared to the other Ivies. The quality of its facilities is atrocious.

Mar 24, 21 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
nastronaut

yes, it is available to international students. These are private schools, so they don't care where you're from. And most do a mixture between aid and merit, so if you get in you should receive a decent amount of help (unless your really rich and barely got in)

Mar 24, 21 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
orangepeel23

these are all valid points. I appreciate everyone's input . I didn't get accepted anywhere else, which is one of the reasons I'm considering trying to raise funds. If I raise close to 150k I'm going to try and go. life isn't about waiting for tomorrow, I have an opportunity and I'm going to try and make it happen.

Sincerely, orangepeel23

Mar 24, 21 2:48 pm  · 
2  · 
_N8_

No harm in giving them a call and explaining your situation. You can say, if Columbia gives you X amount to meet what you are willing to pay, you will accept their offer. See what they say; you don't have a lot of leverage so just be honest.

Mar 24, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm not saying you should'nt, but keep in mind that starting salaries for grads up here is about 45-50k CAD... Your academic credentials won't carry much weight besides a slight head nod. You'll have friends finishing up paying their cars & houses before you can rustle up enough cash for a downpayment.

Mar 24, 21 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Rather than money, I am more concerned in your expectations in Architecture education & the field. is your undergrad in Arch? Are you familiar with what Architecture degree teaches? Honestly you probably will get the same thing by doing design competitions or do your own research. Since studio classes does not teach, just critique. Software is almost exclusively self taught. Structure, construction, history courses are generic. You could easily learn them by reading textbook. Real skills come from practice, which you will start at about 50K/year with slow increase over your career. 

Those of us giving advices here have been through it. Understood what you get from the school, what the field is like. Some even went to the top schools.

Just hope that you are not thinking going to ivy=starchitect.

Mar 24, 21 3:08 pm  · 
3  · 
thisisnotmyname

Beware of being a poor kid at a rich kids' grad school. It can suck to be living on a budget when your classmates have their parents' credit cards to pay for everything.

Mar 24, 21 3:10 pm  · 
4  · 
h3llo

@ orangepeel, NO degree is worth that much money. employers also don't care what school you graduated from honestly. maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it doesn't seem like this is your dream school, considering you didn't get accepted to any other one and now it seems like you're "forced" to attend columbia.

have you considered reapplying to other Canadian schools next year, and take this year instead to work? You'll gain much more practical and valuable experience rather than worrying about paying off student loans for the rest of your life.

Mar 24, 21 10:18 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

sad to hear this orange. unfortunately, i think you will remember this forum once you've started working and that first loan bill is due. and it won't be a pleasant memory.

some good advice here to reapply- people do it all the time.

Mar 25, 21 10:28 am  · 
2  · 
visa

Spending $300K+ plus interest on a MArch is crazy. It's not worth it. It's a bad decision. Don't forget there are also annual tuition and fees increases. Recently, students at Columbia University were protesting against the high tuition. What if, later, you need to go back to school because you lose your job due to layoffs, which are common in architecture, or you decide you don't want to be an architect anymore and want to change careers? Why would you put yourself and your parents / family in a bad financial situation, only to spend the rest of your life trying to get out of debt? 

Mar 24, 21 6:03 pm  · 
2  · 
putumayou

I'm in a similar situation now. I was accepted into GSAPP M Arch three years without fundings and Cornell AAP MSAAD 1.5 years with fellowships. The calculation of the overall costs assuming GSAPP will eventually give me AP position cutting three years to two. 

Is it worth investing 50K in grad school in the US for two years including tuition and living costs? I'm an international fulbright alternate candidate, the 80K grant over two years is not yet confirmed. 

Columbia GSAPP M Arch 2 years with Fulbright will cost me 50K vs Cornell AAP MSAAD 1.5 years with Fulbright will cost me "nothing" or without 50K. 

I have a BA degree in a foreign country and 5 years of working experience in New York, I'm eligible to take ARE 5.0 in NY... I'm thinking of either GSAPP with Fulbright or AAP without Fulbright. Do you think I should even consider Cornell AAP with Fulbright??

Mar 24, 21 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

MSAAD is 3 semester 1 year. So potentially vs 2 year maybe 3? Isn't this just for your resume shine? I would do the shortest. 50K total is still ok for ivy league title. Don't forget about the opportunity cost too. One year in school = one less year working.

I am more curious as to why you want to go back after 5 years working experience besides resume shine.

Mar 24, 21 8:54 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

have to agree with jay, 50k for an extraneous degree just doesn't seem worth it, which is really unfortunate- i think we would all be a lot better off if pursuing as much education is appropriate for each individual was a feasible thing, but the system has become intended to produced workers who are in debt, i.e. must continue to work and not pursue thing like more education, art, etc.

i've toyed with the idea of more school, but the price tag is something i just can't swallow. 5-10k? for that price, sure, i would love to get a random humanities masters (part time).

50k? i'd rather put it towards a down payment on a house.

Mar 25, 21 10:32 am  · 
1  · 
putumayou

Thanks for the comments, Yes, I agree that Cornell can be a more reasonable option. Here are the reasons that I need a graduate degree in the US. 1. with BA degree (none accredited NAAB) there were always disadvantages in getting a good job. 2. Working visa is almost impossible without a master's degree nowadays. 3. I have outside funding that covers one-year living costs approx.26K abroad only. 4. I need some time to pass all ARE 5.0 exams in the next year or so. 5. I haven't had enough time to think and do my own work while working more than 250-300 hours per month in the most intensive architecture firms.

Mar 27, 21 2:18 am  · 
 · 
putumayou

Mar 27, 21 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: