Archinect
anchor

Canada/Toronto: 2021 New Graduate, looking for employment advice!

lpy2021

Hello! I'm currently finishing up my master degree in architecture, and am preparing for job applications. It has really been a special time for the entire industry, so I'm just looking for some advice for job hunting in the year of pandemic.

For myself, I signed a internship offer with a local architecture office (more than 50 people size firm) last March and then pandemic hit, my offer got canceled. I tried to maintain a connection with the associates that interviewed me throughout the summer last year, and it seemed to be good. My emails were always replied and the associates were like keep in touch, perhaps we can work together in the near future and stuff. However, when recently I tried to reach out to him to inquire any possible job openings, I haven't get any reply from them, which is now really worrying for me. My city is just starting to open up and offices are pretty much still work from home. Any advice what I should do to increase my chance getting in that company? 

Also would love to hear any advice of increase my chance of getting interviews! 

Mar 20, 21 10:58 am
Non Sequitur

It's all relative to the type of projects a firm predominantly works in.  Condo high-rises took a big hit in the GTA and well as anything related to commercial.  Boutique design and industrial sectors however have increased greatly.  Look at the type of projects a firm is currently working on and go from there.  Can't say anything about that particular firm, obviously, but interns are cheap drafting labour at this point... and there are many of them out there looking for that first gig.  If you want to increase your chances at landing an interview/job offer, then you need to show them much more than glossy renderings.  Many firms are swamped at the moment and no-one has the time to train new staff.  You need to show people that you can design and detail correctly without much supervision.  Much easier said than done, I know, but that is the reality at this time.  I know I'd loose my shit if I had to carve out part of my day to train new staff at this point.

Mar 20, 21 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
lpy2021

Thanks for your advice! So far I haven't heard back from the firm I signed contract with last year. I emailed the two associates that interviewed me last time, do you think I should keep following up with them? They used to reply quite fast but I don't know what's happening now.. all I know is that they are hiring now cuz my friend just got a interview invitation from them.

Mar 20, 21 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: