Archinect
anchor

Help with career choice

emerald21

I have a BA in Architecture in the UK where I reside.  I have worked in architectural practices but I'm not willing to do a Masters's degree. This is because I just find it overly stressful studying architecture and don't want to ruin my mental health again. I have been trying to find a secure job as an architectural designer or interior designer but I don't seem to find anything. My question is I have an interest in other fields such as:

Urban Designer, Landscape Architect, Building Conservation and Town Planning (Policy)

Which one of these is worth getting into? I mean will I find a secure job? Will I have to study for masters for all of them? It is also important that the job is not too stressful and is meaningful (I can't stand doing any drudgery work)

Please advise.

Mar 18, 21 11:06 am
square.

the majority of life/work is drudgery, contrary to the myth that you should "love your job."

better get used to it- the sooner you do, the happier you will be.

Mar 18, 21 11:26 am  · 
 · 
square.

It is also important that the job is not too stressful and is meaningful

unfortunately, these things are mutually exclusive- something can't be meaningful without it also including a decent amount of stress. in other words, the more you care about something, the more it will both bring meaning and also anxiety with it.

i'm nervous for your entry into the work force.

Mar 18, 21 11:33 am  · 
1  ·  1
geezertect

You mean if I want to cure cancer I'm going to have to do that icky laboratory stuff with test tubes and petri dishes? I was hoping I could just win a Nobel Prize in my spare time. Damn.

Mar 18, 21 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 
emerald21

you say: "i'm nervous for your entry into the work force."

Seriously??!! What an insensitive, thoughtless, and inappropriate thing to say! Is this how you try to help someone? How useful is that? How do you think I'm going to take as? 

Please don't comment, if you don't have anything useful to say!

Thanks!

Mar 18, 21 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i think i actually gave you many words of wisdom- you focused on one line and disregarded the rest; shame.

but reality will come sooner or later.

Mar 18, 21 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Mar 18, 21 1:00 pm  · 
4  · 
bowling_ball

You get to do meaningful work?

Mar 18, 21 1:29 pm  · 
5  · 
randomised

Thankfully yes, almost all of the time it matters, that's why I applied at certain places and why I get hired. 

But I'm also able to give meaning to seemingly uninteresting things when everyone else around couldn't be bothered. 

For instance, I really enjoy making my drawings look damn good or make menial tasks more efficient, look for ways to automate them etc. am a sucker for nice spread sheets full of formulas that do all the work for me.

Mar 19, 21 5:08 am  · 
2  · 
Veldranae

This is gonna sound like lots of salt but:

Job security, stability, meaningful and not stressful are words that you rarely see related to architecture and by rarely I mean only in the University.

No matter where you go it will be almost the same, at least the Computer Science/Cybersecurity guys get a big fat paycheck + absurd bonuses + more security because only a few makes it to the end of those careers so competition is almost non existent for them.

Mar 18, 21 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
emerald21

Please only send useful comments, nothing negative. Thanks

Mar 18, 21 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

it's possible there are no useful comments which aren't somewhat negative. focus on developing your own resilience if you want to feel happy in the long term.

Mar 18, 21 6:18 pm  · 
6  · 
midlander

in general though any job in government planning and design agencies will be less stressful. some people find them boring but maybe you'd appreciate the predictability and stability.

Mar 18, 21 6:20 pm  · 
6  · 

'Meaningful' and 'not stressful' are contradictory.

Except for maybe gardening.

Mar 18, 21 8:23 pm  · 
1  · 
emerald21

There is a difference between "not stressful" and "not too stressful". I said a job that's not "too stressful". I don't know why everyone is picking on this. All jobs will have some stress in them. But you would agree some are more stressful than others. And about gardening, it was not on my list. Perhaps you can add it to your list of careers.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 21 8:20 am  · 
 · 
vnssstjr

I think the question is more of 'what kind of stress you want to handle', and not so much of 'what is the least stressful'. You said it yourself, all jobs have the stress associated with them. And all of these career choices you listed have "drudgery" work, so you can't really avoid that. I think you could try finding a job relating to these careers and see if that's what you enjoy, if not then move on to the next one. After that, you can decide if you want to get your Masters and eventually work your way up to do less "drudgery" work. I'm in the US so I'm not exactly sure about the technical requirements in the UK. As for the secure job part, idk. I think that depends on a lot of factors (economy, your performance, etc). Any of these choices are worth getting into, IMO. But only you can really choose which one is worth it to you. Some people find menial jobs enjoyable, and it may not work with other people.

Also midlander's comment is a good suggestion.

Mar 19, 21 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: