Archinect
anchor

Favorite mouse?

Wood Guy

My trusty Logitech wireless mouse died so I'm trying this trackball mouse: https://www.logitech.com/en-us... I have minor hand and wrist issues that were sometimes a problem with a regular mouse. What are others using?

Mar 11, 21 11:04 am
Almosthip

Logitech MX Master

I pan with my thumb while zooming in and out at same time.  I love it

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca...

Mar 11, 21 11:06 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Funny, I just emailed an architect friend about this and he linked to the exact same product.

Mar 11, 21 11:09 am  · 
2  · 

I use the Logitech MX Master as well (currently the MX Master 2S to be precise). I always had issues in school with hand pain from using regular mice and this is just so much more ergonomic. I replaced it once in the last 10 years(?) when the *click* on the center scroll wheel stopped clicking.

I also like that it is wireless, and that it is rechargeable via USB cable, and that you can continue to use the mouse while recharging (take that Apple).

Mar 11, 21 2:11 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

It's impressive how long one can go between charges.

Mar 11, 21 2:27 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm using a Logitech MX Vertical, and a Logitech wireless keyboard. Revolutionary, use one USB for both devices, and a reduction in switching between my computers. Fantastic.

Mar 11, 21 3:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

B3, I posted this question on the EntreArchitect forum as well and that mouse seems like a very popular choice.

Mar 11, 21 5:07 pm  · 
1  · 

I just ordered one. I'll let you know what I think of it once I get to use it.

May 7, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I use a fin style mouse like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-W...

Mar 11, 21 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I like my M705, although that MX Master does look worth a tryout.

It takes some futzing around with both your system mouse settings and settings in whichever software you use, but getting the extra buttons to do what you want them to can improve your workflow immensely - just setting the thumb button to bring up the osnap menu in AutoCAD literally changed my life.

I personally find trackballs much worse on my hand and wrist than a good ergonomic mouse. YMMV. 

Mar 11, 21 2:30 pm  · 
1  · 

I love the extra buttons and the ability to program them by software application. In Bluebeam, my thumb button zooms to fit page, the forward and back buttons are to page up and down. When editing specs, the back button is bold, the forward button deletes the paragraph (I know a guy that mapped them to copy and paste). Amazing time savers.

Mar 11, 21 4:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Meatball2000

Any mouse with those sweet sweet side buttons..

Mar 11, 21 2:44 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

The good old MX500 still works for me...

Mar 11, 21 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

LOGI m510 for CAD and other stuff (gaming).  It's cheap and lightweight... that 2nd part is crucial for me when drafting because I notice extra weight.

Wireless Mouse M510

LOGI G600 for Revit.  There are 12 customizable buttons for the thumb (24 if you use the extra toggle MB) so I can map several commands.  It also has LED lights and if you download the app, you can pick any colour.

G600 MMO Gaming Mouse

Mar 11, 21 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Looks like it has a Blackberry on the side...

Mar 11, 21 7:22 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I have fat fingers - I'd never hit the right button on that thing.

Mar 11, 21 7:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Also worth noting that there are 2 right click buttons (+ zoom wheel click) and mode cycle button giving up to 3x24 command mapping options. I just stick to 24 and use the cycle button to alternate LED colours. It’s glorious.

Mar 11, 21 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I used a Logitech M310 for years, until it died recently. Looks like the M510 but without the side buttons. I'm with atelier nobody--my fingers aren't exactly sausages but I don't think I'd do well with so many buttons. I could be wrong. Do you also use keyboard shortcuts?

Mar 12, 21 1:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

WG, that black-berry'esque mouse is for revit only... My memory is full of autocad keyboard shortcuts (I only have a few toolbars for CAD... and surprise surprise, it's a crazy mismass of custom CUI tricks) and I cannot cram anymore key commands in there. I have both mice plugged into my workstation and alternate depending on the software I'm using.

Mar 12, 21 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

for example, I switched from the G600 to the M510 to write the above (and this) reply.

Mar 12, 21 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

out of curiosity what do you have those buttons mapped out for in Revit? I find that command input is better reserved for keyboard, especially since you can change command keys in Revit.

May 7, 21 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

One, I’ve mapped mostly annotation commands and graphic things. I can’t be bothered to remember key shortcuts anymore. Detail line, dims, various tags, etc. I also have synchronized set up and section cuts.

May 7, 21 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Move and copy are keyed up but don’t work as well as keyboard shortcuts. So I don’t use the mouse buttons for those. Ditto for wall /family creation.

May 7, 21 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Anker Vertical Ergonomic Mouse. Had one at a firm previously, loved it, bought one for home - because Apple's Magic Mouse in Revit IS THE WORST

Mar 11, 21 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The Apple mouse *in general* is the worst

Mar 11, 21 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Has the coating peeled off yet?

Mar 11, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

For me, always a toss-up between these two.Pinky and the Brain Vector - SuperAwesomeVectors

Each has its advantages.

Mar 11, 21 5:07 pm  · 
5  · 

Steamboat Mickey, hands down. 

Mar 11, 21 5:47 pm  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

Fantasia Mickey for the win.

Mar 11, 21 5:56 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

R. Crumb FTW

Mar 11, 21 6:38 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

Umm hello...Mighty Mouse for the win

Mar 11, 21 6:47 pm  · 
5  · 
atelier nobody

https://youtu.be/Yxp23Gkvn9g

Mar 11, 21 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

All wrong!

Mar 11, 21 7:21 pm  · 
4  · 
Jaetten

I read this as favourite 'moose'... 

I have an original Logitech g700, but the left click now double clicks... It spent thousands or hours playing 'world of warcraft' in my teenage years and early 20's. By far the most comfortable mouse I have use, a few extra buttons too.

Mar 12, 21 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I totally rocked warcraft too in junior high... but that was Warcraft 2 and the mouse I used was a single button from my Power Mac 5200. Zoom wheels were not even invented at that time. Damn, thanks for making me feel old today.

Mar 12, 21 8:17 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Youngsters. I rocked The Legend of Zelda in my early teens, when it was a new game ;-) Doom came out when I was 20 and set the stage for the new type of game, and I couldn't get on board.

Mar 12, 21 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I remember installing Doom2... came on something like 7 floppy discs

Mar 12, 21 9:31 am  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

We use to play Duke Nukem at lunch at my first firm

Mar 12, 21 10:59 am  · 
4  · 
randomised

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.

Mar 12, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxbO5Rx_oU

Nov 2, 21 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this mousse

Mousse - Wikipedia

Mar 12, 21 12:47 pm  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

I'm a sucker for that stuff ;-)

Mar 12, 21 12:59 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Stolen from twitter.  I am both neutral good and chaotic good.  I also did own that stupid circular apple mouse thing back in the day.  

LabVIEW mouse alignment chart. Lawful good: a vertical mouse. Neutral good: A Logitech mouse with top and side scroll wheels, buttons. Chaotic good: A "Rat" mouse which looks kinda cyberpunk. Lawful good: A trackball mouse. Neutral: A standard Microsoft two button and scrollwheel mouse. Chaotic neutral: An Apple puck mouse. Lawful evil: An Apple trackpad. Neutral evil: A keyboard trackpoint (nipple) mouse. Chaotic evil: An etch-a-sketch toy.

Mar 12, 21 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I did get one of those "fruit" iMacs, but the very first thing I did was get a real mouse for it. On this chart I'm solidly NG (IRL I waver between NG/CG).

Nov 2, 21 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Appleseed

Been a fan of the 3DConnexion CadMouse for a while. Has a good weight to it - fit is typical claw-grip for me.

That Logitech mouse in the OP is pretty nice looking - might need to try that out... 

Mar 12, 21 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Trackballs are great when working from a laptop as you can work virtually anywhere without worrying about a mouse surface to work on. What' s the cadmouse like for drawing work?

May 7, 21 11:02 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

G502 Hero

Mar 13, 21 11:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Evolulent vertical. Was having problems with my hand from using typical dumb flat mouse that requires 90 degree forearm rotation. Switched to vertical and problems resolved in a couple of days.

May 7, 21 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 
eliza_ev

+ 1 for Evoluent VM

I've been using Evoluent mice for a year or so, and I love it (switched to it because of newly diagnosed tunnel syndrome, which makes me "a dumb flat mouse" victim).

Aug 31, 21 12:26 am  · 
1  · 
gwharton

Nothing else comes close to the excellence of the old Logitech Trackman Marble FX. Even 20+ years later.

Nov 8, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram
luvu

As the Smiths fan , I like Modest Mouse 

Jul 24, 23 9:51 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Dead Mau5

Jul 24, 23 11:32 pm  · 
2  · 

I use the Logitech MX Vertical wireless mouse. Works great and doesn’t cause wrist pain (I broke a couple bones in my wrist in high school stopping a suplex wrong so normal mice are awful for me) 

Jul 25, 23 1:54 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

That's what I've been using for the 2.5 years since I first posted this question. It's a very nice mouse. I'm having some forearm issues and my doctor suggested switching hands, which I tried but it doesn't work with the MX Vertical. They do make a left-handed version.

Jul 25, 23 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

That's a bummer WG. I too use the Logitech MX Vertical wireless mouse and love it. I'm sure you're doing PT and bracing trying to get your forearm issues healed up. Good luck!

Jul 25, 23 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Nah, just resting it when I can. I overdid something doing a construction project early this year. I have a wrist brace and elbow brace that help with gripping motions but not with mousing. I can actually see advantages to switching mouse hands, such as using the number pad with my right hand.

Jul 25, 23 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I wonder, could you two fist this?

Jul 25, 23 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Haha, sure, but I would impact my ability to type. Or do you mean have two mice set up and go between them throughout the day? I hadn't thought of that and it wouldn't work with my current keyboard tray, but it's possible.

Jul 26, 23 9:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: