Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to get $ from GSD if wasn't offered?

meow1

Hi guys, 

I recently received the offer from GSD MLA without any scholarship and illegible for financial aid as an international student. 

I did receive another offer from Cornell, M.Arch I, with 14,000 and the opportunity to be TA in the second semester or so. But the program is my dream, and I am also quite superficial not being able to give up the chance to be in Harvard for its name. 

My parents are extremely supportive, as always, but I know it's gonna be a huge burden for my family. Hence I would like to know if it is possible to ask again for some support from the school?

Thank you!

Mar 3, 21 12:20 am
natematt

It's been discussed here before, sometimes they'll match or incentivize if you ask. Though, I'm not sure why an MLA program would match an MArch program? Which one are you trying to do? These are very different things. You should ask in the multiple MArch threads that are currently active. 

I don't think you'll find this forum particularly sympathetic to your superficiality. Did you happen to apply to any schools you can afford to go to? As far as I am aware both of these programs as they are available to you are borderline un-repayable for most people. The salary increase going to either of them is going to be basically nothing over a school that costs a fraction as much or might be more willing to provide better aid. 

If you can afford it, just go to the one you want.

Mar 3, 21 3:28 am  · 
1  · 
ja.bcn09

If you come from one of the countries listed in Harvard's Committee on General Scholarships, maybe you can try and appeal (but you have to course this through GSD's admissions and/or financial aid + you'll also be competing with applicants to different Harvard schools, not just the GSD). But asking them to match Cornell's MArch I offer to the GSD's MLA will probably be a long shot since, as natematt has put it, it's two different programs. 

Frankly, international students are not (much of) a priority for scholarships or financial aid (with limited exceptions for those who have a US undergrad degree). Schools like the Ivies rely on international students to bring in the money as they prioritize funding to domestic students. To (even) get into schools like the GSD with minimal funding, you have to come from their usual pool of admits (particularly for those with architecture backgrounds already from certain schools + meeting diversity requirements). If you don't come from those pools, it's quite a tough circle to penetrate. 

At Cornell, you're going to pursue an M.Arch I with TA opportunities (which should have some compensation). Cornell is giving you that and the 14k because they want YOU. But if you can afford to go to the GSD (and you see yourself pursuing an MLA track more) with your family's support, then go there. Good luck!

Mar 3, 21 4:14 am  · 
 · 
ja.bcn09

Schools like the Ivies rely on international students to bring in the money as they prioritize funding to domestic students. 

I meant this as Ivy schools (and most private schools in general) put their domestic student applicants first when it comes to scholarships and financial aid (as with most countries) and could only provide limited allocation of that for international students (even slots for admitted foreign applicants is also limited). Hence, the money that international students bring (whether they loaned it or are being funded by scholarships from their home countries or a private entity) is what (partially) keeps the school afloat. 

Mar 3, 21 6:35 am  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

Foreign students who don't need aid are very much a source of cash for USA institutions. My local private arch. school has set up lots of new graduate programs in recent years to bring in foreign students who can pay the outrageous full tuition price.

Mar 3, 21 10:38 am  · 
 · 
ja.bcn09

Agreed. Post-professional programs (like M.Arch 2's, MDes, MS's, MA's, etc.) are intently "international programs" (as how a professor in one of the open houses at an Ivy school I attended puts it). It goes without saying that these programs were designed (and eventually adapted) to lure international students who, apart from having the academic and professional credentials and performance to qualify for admission, are not only given limited options for funding but will highly pay for the degree and reputation mileage that comes with the institution. It's still is a business, after all!

Mar 3, 21 10:49 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: