Archinect
anchor

The life of a dinosaur.

After another decade of abuse I need to replace the cover on my drafting table. Unfortunately Alvin is finished and I can't find Vyco / Borco anywhere, everyone is out of stock.

Does anyone have a source for this material? Or a leftover from a roll they wouldn't mind parting with? Or an alternate material to use? Does anyone here even know what Vyco is (was)?

Feb 26, 21 11:05 am
SneakyPete

Good morning, Miles. It's good to see you.

My drafting board hasn't seen a new drawing layer in decades, and it makes me sad to hear I may never be able to finally get around to replacing it.

How's life in NY?

Feb 26, 21 11:36 am  · 
1  · 
gibbost

I think Pacific Arc is trying to fill the void after Alvin closed up shop.  I believe PA has rolls you can cut to size or specific sizes available.  Good luck.

Feb 26, 21 11:40 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete
Bench

He's alive!

Have you tried finding out where architecture schools are directing their students? These are still common mandatory first-year materials. I wasn't in school that long ago, the student union would normally speak directly with 1-2 local art supply stores a few weeks before the start of classes to ensure they were stocking enough for the upcoming rush.

Feb 26, 21 11:45 am  · 
2  · 

Last one I bought was back in 2009(?). I let it go with my drafting table I sold to a SE back in 2016 when I needed to make the home office into a nursery. 

Sad that all these drafting material companies are fading away. Hoping that Miles doesn't fade back into the forums only to ask for drafting materials.

Feb 26, 21 12:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Waltzing in here like it hasn't been a year since we've heard from you...

I don't know where to find new board covers but I have a homemade board with a vinyl cover that I don't use and would be happy to have put to good use. 

Feb 26, 21 12:17 pm  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

https://www.artsupply.com/view...

I have also stacked and taped down 2-3 sheets of mylar drafting film to make a substitute board cover.

Feb 26, 21 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

https://www.artsupply.com/alvin/vyco.htm

Feb 26, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hi Miles, welcome back.

I tossed out my mayline and cover less than a year ago.  Was badly damaged tho.  Don't think I've seen borco in for ever. 

Feb 26, 21 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

hoppers drafting furniture

Feb 26, 21 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I have it. Send me an email.

Feb 26, 21 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Hi 'Pete - Absurdity is the new reality.

gibbost - Inquiry sent, we'll see if they have anything.

Bench - Archie students are allowed to use pencils!?

EA - Miss me?

Wood Guy - I prefer to sashay.

thisisnot a good source, one small size available.

Non - Mayline rules.

urbanity - nice link to used drafting supplies. That got me on a Mayline parts search: "This item is currently out of stock". Feeling really old now.

thanks b3ta.

Feb 27, 21 10:05 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Try Guiry's - they are a small mini-chain of art supply/ drafting/ paint stores in Colorado... they might have old stock they would look at for you. The one I always went to had a cavernous dusty basement with all sorts of drafting stuff in it. I tried to look on their website but it's essentially useless, best to just call!

Mar 1, 21 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Lovely to see you Miles!

Feb 27, 21 12:33 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

Hi Miles

Mar 1, 21 11:40 am  · 
 · 
terrimando

I found some listed as available at

https://www.draftingsuppliesde...

Now that I see it is not available anywhere... I'm going to recover my table now, and not wait.  

Mar 2, 21 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Still in stock, apprently. They took my money, anyway. Thanks.

Mar 3, 21 9:28 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: