Archinect
anchor

IBC Code Question! Middle School Gymnasium: A-3 or E?

Continuum

Hi I am not sure which occupancy load factor to use for a school gymnasium...

As per IBC, an assembly within occupancy E does not need to be classified separately as an A occupancy. 

Does this mean that if a gymnasium is part of a middle school, we should use occupancy load factor for E? And if so, E only has 'classroom area' load factor of 20 net and 'shops and other vocational room areas' of 50 net. Which one do we use?

I need the correct load factor to determine egress requirements for a mezzanine located inside a middle school gymnasium.

Feb 13, 21 11:50 pm
lower.case.yao

I’ve never seen a school gym not used for large sports events or other large assembly uses, so I would err on the side of caution and go with the stricter one, group A3.

Feb 14, 21 12:43 am  · 
3  · 
natematt

Occupancy grouping and use (occupant load) are separate sections of the code and actually separable designations. When you start to get into weird programs this comes up a lot more. Which is to say, it can be E and still have an occupant load and requirements of an assembly use. I am sure that is the intent here, as there is more impact to having a large assembly area than just exiting that this is meant to avoid triggering. 

But do not take my word for it. You should look at the ICC commentary on whatever version of the building code you are using for that section. I'm sure that's what it will tell you, in many more specific and legally accurate words. 

Feb 14, 21 2:57 am  · 
3  · 
natematt

It IS in the ICC commentary, read it for your answer. (though, sometimes plancheckers like to write their own code in their head, so you never really know) 

Feb 15, 21 12:14 am  · 
 · 
proto

talk to your ahj 

My $0.02 is A3, but I’m not an authority in your area. (Thinking it’s E for no separation, but A for egress)

Let us know what is determined

Feb 14, 21 11:15 am  · 
1  · 
Continuum

Thanks everyone!

Feb 14, 21 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I took crowd source important code questions. Side note, if I want to start a 2 hour discussion with no end goal in my office, I only need to suggest a mezzanine in an assembly occupancy. 

Feb 14, 21 11:55 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

G for Gymnasium.

Feb 15, 21 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: