Archinect
anchor

Keywords for these paintings

Jihoon

Hello.

I am trying to analyse paintings from French painter Gerome in relation to the architecture with the focus on Orientalism.

However, I found quite difficult in my level to find relevant source that can explain architectural style used in the buildings within the paintings. I would look at exterior, interior and furniture expressed in his work.

which keywords could you recommend for me to search for?
eg. specific terms within Islamic architecture / how do you call the scaffold and screen fence?

Hope you guys can help me with this.

ps. I got to know about iznik tiles

Feb 8, 21 11:35 am

When is the assignment due?

Feb 8, 21 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

beat me to it.

I like the hookahs.

Feb 8, 21 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

My work here is done then.

Feb 8, 21 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I have an Iznik ceramic mug on my desk, gifted to me by a local tilemaker while I was interning with a professor / architect in undergrad. It holds my pens.

Anyway, stop googling and go talk to your university librarians.

Feb 8, 21 12:22 pm  · 
3  · 

Go find the architectural history section in your local library and look there. I recall using the text, A World History of Architecture, in school that probably has some information you're looking for.

Feb 8, 21 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
square.

it's hard for me to imagine being a student and not enjoying going to the library.. but it seems to be a common problem

Feb 8, 21 12:48 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

If not the real library, at least spending hours following the white rabbit around Google...

Feb 9, 21 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

We were just involved in a new high school building project and the new school does not have a library in it. I was shocked!

Feb 9, 21 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
square.

that's criminal... what with this misguided idea that books are archaic or dying out? the so-called "e-reader" revolution never materialized, and books are more popular than ever. hope this is just the exception and not the norm.

Feb 9, 21 6:09 pm  · 
2  · 
caramelhighrise

Aren't architects stereotypically obsessed with books? Or am I making that up.

Feb 9, 21 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Libraries get in the way of teaching because they encourage exploring and research. They don't provide the EXACT answer to the specific problem students imagine they have. 

Added- they don't work like instagram or Pinterest boards.

Feb 10, 21 9:23 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Well, based on the second painting, you could try googling for "naked little boys in architecture". What could go wrong?

Feb 9, 21 3:08 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Richard Meier has entered the chat.

Feb 10, 21 12:44 pm  · 
3  · 

" French painter Gerome in relation to the architecture with the focus on Orientalism." Everything you need to know to start this assignment is in this sentence. You have an author (that prepared the images in a specific context- look them up). You have a "style (that is connected to the context that the author prepared the paintings)," look that up as well.  But based on the information you've provided us your keywords are: Painting, French, Orientalism. Clearly There's an assignment with some desired outcome and process. And of the process wasn't described in the assignment- I'm betting it was in the lecture. And if you didn't attend the lecture, you have classmates- not an online forum.

Feb 10, 21 9:20 am  · 
2  · 
proto

hashtag lmgtfy

Feb 10, 21 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
navybear

Maybe you could try consulting with your professor because, it can get quite tricky with assignments like these. I don’t want to say something and then turn out I was wrong. But for sure, it shouldn’t be very hard to explain this relationship. My sister started to really introduce me to art a few months ago, and from that time I have become addicted. I could never paint myself, but recently I tried out this painting kit from https://paintingbynumbersshop.... and it turned out to be very easy to use. I had a blast making this paint by numbers. Very easy to use and affordable.

Mar 22, 21 4:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: