Archinect
anchor

Looking for advice - no architecture background but looking to get into the industry

kh21

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice if possible please. I have a BSc and MSc (BSc History/International Relations and MSc Environment, Politics and Society), neither of which are related to architecture or urban design planning. Over the past few years I've become increasingly interested in sustainable architecture and urban planning (living cities/people-first urban planning etc) after doing my MSc dissertation on nature discourses within Scandinavian architecture.

Looking to the future, I'd love to work within the field in some aspects (queue eye rolls haha). Being realistic however, I know I'm not destined to be an architecture or designer (defo don't have the skill yet!!). I also know that right now, I can't really afford another degree...this obviously leaves me in a slightly tricky situation haha

I have a wonderful job currently at an incredible environmental charity. I know though for the future, my heart is set elsewhere and I also know I need to start putting steps into place that'll let me get there.

I guess I'm asking for some advice on roles/jobs within the field that don't require architecture and/or design degrees/training (which sounds somewhat stupid to write but I'm hoping I'm making sense!). I've done research into different positions like sustainability consultants etc. but I imagine those positions would still prioritise people with the right academic background. If the general consensus is I'll need some form of planning degree then that would still be really useful to hear.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

x

Jan 29, 21 12:15 pm

Unfortunately, any type of direct work in any architectural field is going to require some type of training and schooling - yes this includes even drafting. 

One thing that may interest you could be working with an economic development counsel / agency.  These types of organizations often have a wide range of people with different skills and backgrounds working at them.  You'll be able to work with architects, master planners, ect as you work to promote and grow an areas economy and built environment.  This could give you the exposure to various other aspects of the architecture and design fields., especially master planning.  

Good luck. 

Jan 29, 21 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
kh21

​Hi Chad, Thanks so much for your insight, it's really useful. I'll take on board what you've said and look into it! Thanks again :)

Jan 29, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Ditto to everything Chad said. I'm not sure where you are, but at least in the US, most cities have a planning commission that is a volunteer position open to citizens, so that might be an avenue to get some exposure to the people and processes.

Feb 1, 21 10:18 am  · 
 · 
kh21

I'm in London but this is still useful, thank you!

Feb 1, 21 10:34 am  · 
 · 
sasha.r

I'm looking for similar advice and wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or post in one of the existing ones.
I've been working as a web developer for the last 15 months but I'm looking to switch to something more architecture-centric in the UK. Do you have any idea where I could start? Is there maybe some remote work I could do?

Jan 31, 21 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Unless you're developing web-things for an architecture office, the simple answer is no. Please read it responses above. There's about a zero percent chance of getting a job in an architecture office without relevant and specific education, which you don't have. If you want to get your foot in the door, go earn a degree like everybody else.

Jan 31, 21 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
kh21

I think it's a real shame that questions like ours warrant responses like this. We're just asking for advice. I have two degrees. Telling me to 'go earn a degree' doesn't feel particularly nice. In now way have either of us said 'we are super lazy and can't be bothered to get a degree'.....we're simply enquiring as to the different roles (of which there are obviously many) that might be open to us.

Feb 1, 21 2:34 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

If you have good graphic skills, you could certainly find a role in visualization and developing marketing material, but you would probably stay pigeonholed there without getting at least a little bit of architectural education.

Feb 1, 21 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ya'll know you're responding to a spambot, right?

Feb 1, 21 10:28 am  · 
 · 
kh21

lol we do now

Feb 1, 21 10:34 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: