Archinect
anchor

What cool jobs are out there for Architectural Tech?

MELLLE

Hello,

I am currently enrolled in a 2yr Architectural Technology AAS degree program. Wondering what kinds of jobs are out there with this? Am interested in using Revit or doing renderings, or in assisting in Residential. Would appreciate any tips. Minnesota area or virtual. Thanks for any tips.

Jan 29, 21 12:50 pm
ivanmillya

With my limited knowledge of the English language, I'd say.... "Architecture" + "Technology" equals...CAD monkey. Have fun being production staff.

Jan 29, 21 5:49 pm  · 
tduds

Nothin' wrong with production as long as it's the career one intends to pursue. Our BIM crew keeps the ship afloat.

Jan 29, 21 6:10 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

the condescension is strong in this one. I wish I was as comfortable with what I wanted to do "when I grow up."

Jan 29, 21 6:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ivan, I’ll Yale a 2y arch tech over a fresh March. They are often better trained to start in an office anyways.

Jan 29, 21 6:53 pm  · 
3  · 
MELLLE

Must say, your reply was disappointing, to say the least. A little back story: I have a Bachelor's degree in a science field (microbiology), and I worked for years in the medical device industry. Then I was mostly a mom, raising my kids and being so busy with all of their lives. My teens are now entering their college years, and I found I needed something for myself. So I chose an arch tech program, thinking I could find interesting, engaging work and good people, and that I could find some

Jan 29, 21 9:17 pm  · 
4  · 
atelier nobody

MELLLE - what school in MN? I went to MCTC (back when it was just MTC and MCC was a separate school).

To respond to ivanmillya, I went to a two year AT program and am now a licensed architect with a senior position in a large company (E/A company, not A/E, sigh, but still...). While it is true that my career has been focused much more on production than design, it has been fare more than just "CAD monkey" work, and I've even had a small number of projects where I was the primary designer.

Feb 7, 21 9:50 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya
That was condescending of me. My phrasing was off. I guess I just figure that the job path for a degree in architectural technology is pretty self explanatory...being production staff at an arch firm or being staff in a support field (like visualization etc). Am I wrong?
Jan 29, 21 6:43 pm  · 
SneakyPete

I think there could be many paths. Shops for manufacturers, revit models for product designers, 3d environments for film and tv, video game design, all of these use the same basic understandings of HOW but one would need to get into the nitty gritty of WHAT (software).

Jan 29, 21 6:45 pm  · 
2  · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

@ Sneaky Pete, all that is production.

Feb 2, 21 9:43 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

What's wrong with production?

Feb 7, 21 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

A friend graduated from an arch tech diploma and went into a detail consulting firm (group?). Gets to boss around both GCs and architects when they complete a detail wrong - seems to enjoy it for some reason. Consulting/freelance gigs are your best bet if you want something "cool", otherwise prob like tduds posted above.

Jan 29, 21 6:44 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I'm actually trying to get my company (large E/A) to create a building envelope SME position for me.

Feb 7, 21 9:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Well, if the OP started working in a state that requires only experience to take the NCARB architecture exams she could start logging her hours to qualify for the tests just after becoming employed at a firm. Then she could be a licensed architect only a couple of years behind, and several hundred thousand dollars ahead, of people who went the graduate school route. 

Jan 30, 21 6:22 am  · 
1  · 
MELLLE

Thank you. I appreciate the authentic thoughts and advice, especially all of the ideas of where jobs may be found. I realize that in tackling a 'second act' now, I will likely have an abbreviated career path, but my goal is to get involved and to contribute. Interesting thought re exams... doesn't that process take a decade? Can you say more?

Jan 30, 21 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Go to the NCARB website (ncarb.org) they have the licensing requirements for all the states. If it looks promising follow up with your state's licensing board. If it is feasible for you the sooner you get a file started with the NCARB the better. Good luck.

Feb 1, 21 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Unless MN has changed since I was there, you cannot get licensed without an accredited BArch or MArch degree. Where I am now, in California, you can substitute work experience for education, 8 years of work experience is equivalent to a 5-year degree + 3 years of work experience, but the work experience only route is only available in some states anymore.

Feb 7, 21 10:07 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Also, to reply to Volunteer, don't trust the NCARB site - if there's a state you're interested in, go to that state's Architects Board web site.

Feb 7, 21 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
your conscience

i'd think about visualization in virtual reality. the headsets are getting pretty cheap. and soon they will be implanted in your eye directly

Feb 7, 21 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: