Archinect
anchor

How many programs should I know how to use.

Hello, I graduated with an undergraduate Bachelor's degree in architecture and I have experience in Rhino, SketchUp, Revit and AutoCAD. 

A lot of colleagues that graduated with me are highly proficient in additional programs such as Grasshopper, Lumion, and ARCHICAD. These programs are out of my comfort zones but is it standard to know these other programs in the industry? 

I also know basic Microsoft Word and Adobe Creative Suite Programs. 

Jan 27, 21 8:50 pm
Non Sequitur

MS Paint is where it's at.

I'd be careful tossing the word "mastered" when describing your software skills.  What works for school is not the same as what works in an office.  Come back and re-evaluate your skills after 5+ years of 40hr weeks in revit.  I guarantee you'll rank yourself much, much lower even though you'll likely have eclipsed your original skill level several times.

Jan 27, 21 8:56 pm  · 
4  ·  1
tduds

Eleven.

Jan 27, 21 9:38 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

42 is not a bad number either.

Jan 27, 21 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Get real. There aren't that many programs.

Jan 28, 21 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sorry, 42 is the number of updates Autodesk warned me off last night. (spoiler, that's not true, it was actually 41... but I'm sure they forgot one)

Jan 28, 21 6:22 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

I think your list is a good one. I would try and learn Lumion or Enscape for real-time rendering. If you are getting familiar with Revit, I dont think you need archicad. Grasshopper is good to learn as an add on to Rhino.

Yes be careful before using terms like "Mastered" lol.

Jan 27, 21 10:06 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

ALL OF THEM

Jan 28, 21 1:00 am  · 
1  · 
robertaustin

You've got a good list but I will suggest you go with all of them.

Jan 28, 21 7:33 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

It depends what kind of job you are looking for. If you want to be in production, depending on the building type, sector, firm size, etc., I'd say Revit, and frankly, AutoCAD. If you are looking to be more on the design side, then Rhino, Grasshopper, Sketchup, and Lumion are probably more what you should be looking for.

As was recently stated on a different thread, software is the easiest part to learn; learning how a building goes together is much more valuable to an employer.

Jan 28, 21 9:38 am  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

"...learning how a building goes together is much more valuable to an employer..."

Jan 28, 21 9:53 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Got cut-off again! I was going to say that too. Firms salivate at a kid who knows a lot of programmes, but do not really care too much whether the kid knows building or construction technology. Screw-ups, and mistakes happen more frequently then they did in the past. To the management, that the cost of doing business. Sometimes firms are forced to use certain software by their clients (mostly governments), sometimes they want to present a progressive, modern office to the World. Unfortunately, building or construction technology takes a back seat.

Jan 28, 21 10:08 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ummm, I wonder who wrote that nugget of golden wisdom.

Jan 28, 21 10:11 am  · 
1  · 

Learning how a building goes together is much more valuable to an ARCHITECT.

Fixed that for you aps. . .

Jan 28, 21 10:24 am  · 
1  · 
Koww

12-13. less is not more when it comes to programs.

Jan 30, 21 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Wall-E

2 ways to go forward with.. Find the firm that you like the most.. And check what they need at your level of job as software proficiency. Learn those first 

Personal : start developing your workflow and see which softwares you like. I would say rhino gh + Revit + adobe + any rendering software would be enough! 

It's always better to stick to small no of softwares and learn them properly, then learning bunch! 

Jan 30, 21 3:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: