Archinect
anchor

Favorite Fineliners?

atelier nobody

I've been using Microns for decades, but the last few years it seems their quality has declined. Unfortunately, I just haven't been totally satisfied with any of the other brands I've tried.

What other flavors of fineliners are y'all using? Why do you like them?

Jan 13, 21 12:17 pm
Non Sequitur

I will agree with the quality of microns.  I used to have a full fleet of them back in school (15ish years ago) but bought some not that long ago.  I don't find the durability equals their cost.

Pilot felt-tips (but only if the barcode sticker is removed, seriously... wtf is with those stickers on the caps?) or thin sharpies are my choice if using disposables or when on site (fat sharpie if I think I may need to sketch something on whim on some discarded piece of gypsum board).  Other wise it's one of my 4 fountain pens (each with their own coloured ink pots) or my 6mm fat graphite lead (6b).  I've also started using a woodless 8b graphite pencil while WFH.  So far so good.

Jan 13, 21 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Prismacolor does a good replacement that comes in all the common tip sizes and has better (waterproof!) ink.

Jan 13, 21 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

"Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Marker"

Jan 13, 21 12:58 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Thanks, aa, those look nice like a possibility I haven't tried, although the range of sizes is limited. Ordered some to try out.

Jan 13, 21 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Yeah agreed, but how long does a 0.05 Micron really last anyways? I always destroy mine, haha.

Switched to these because the ink is colorfast so you can watercolor or paint over it. 

Jan 13, 21 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I recently tried out some Winsor & Newtons - I love the lines and the ink, but I don't find the barrels comfortable in my hand. Ditto the Faber-Castell Eccos. Both feel like good writing pens, but not so much for sketching.

Jan 13, 21 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I use whatever is in the office or in my kids' collection of pens, markers, etc. that he got or stole from me...

Jan 13, 21 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

It would be nice to work in an office that provided such things - the best I can get from our office supply cabinet are Razor Points and Precise V5s, and even those they can't manage to supply in the color we need for our ISO 9001 inter-departmental color coding...

Jan 13, 21 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Check-out Stabilo Point 88 fine tips. We're not an ISO-certified shop, but we color-code like crazy.

Jan 16, 21 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Microns for renderings, sharpie for sketching on trace, pilot extra fine rollerball for sketching in the real world. 

Jan 14, 21 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Every time I see the title of this thread I think about the design/build firm where I used to work. We called ourselves Fineliners. (I'm not sure who my favorite was.) http://www.finelinesmaine.com/

Jan 16, 21 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: