Archinect
anchor

Job hunting in the time of COVID.

cookedfox

I write this post seeking input from those in the industry or in a similar job hunting situation.

I have just recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in architecture, and am now on the job hunt. However, due to COVID, I am unfamiliar with the state of the job market and how firms are approaching (if at all) prospective new employees. I've actually had one construction company reach out to me interested, but am wondering if it's worth it to keep my options open for potentially more lucrative positions and/or in more desirable locations. I've done some networking, but ultimately a lot of reaching out is cold calling, which I know not ideal.

Any input what to expect as I reach to out to firms? Input on how to negotiate better and put myself in a better position? Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 21 11:21 am
thisisnotmyname

The current employment situation is very uneven.  Some firms are hiring and some aren't.   There is much variation based on location and the kind of projects the firms do.

Make sure you have skills employers need.  COVID has made many of the usual in-person training methods for unskilled noobs impossible.  Know how to be proactive and productive in socially distanced situations where you might have to work for stretches with little or no supervision.  A lot of firm owners are being put through the wringer financially and the outlook going forward is totally unclear.   Now is not the time to be needy or whiny to a supervisor.

Jan 4, 21 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

There are a lot more people with a few years experience looking at the moment, so it seems like a tough market for fresh grads.

Jan 6, 21 4:33 am  · 
 · 
luvu

@cookedfox  where are you based ?

Jan 4, 21 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
cookedfox

Milwaukee metro and Chicago metro area.

Jan 5, 21 8:39 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Seems like there enough going on in Chicago that you should push ahead and apply to firms that interest you. If you do take the construction job, I don't think people looking at your resume would judge you too harshly in the future, it's a given that people sometimes have to accept less than fabulous employment positions during an economic crisis.  Riding out the crisis working for a contractor is at least design-adjacent and you will learn more than in a job in an Amazon warehouse.

Jan 5, 21 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: