Archinect
anchor

Requirements to work as a entry level/intern architect in Canada

joanab

Hi! I'm Canadian (dual citizenship) but studied outside Canada all my
life. I just finished my master's in architecture and I'm interested in getting a job/internship there. Do I need to start the process of accreditation and licensing or do you think it is possible to get a job without it?

I would like to have at least one year working there before I start the process of becoming licensed because I know it is kind of a long/costly process - to get the equivalency - and I'm not sure yet that I want to have a career in Canada. Thank you for your time :)

Jan 2, 21 11:01 pm
bowling_ball

Your chances are likely on par with a Canadian who's recently graduated with an undergrad degree, more or less.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be that if you're honest about wanting to skip town to go work somewhere else in the near future, you're unlikely to get any takers. 

Finally, assuming everything else is the same but your competing candidates live here, you may be looked over in favour of local talent unless you have an in at the firm. 

None of this is Canada specific, I imagine, but I hope it helps. Good luck.

Jan 3, 21 12:04 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

first, you need to establish equivalency of your M.arch with the CACB. That will tell you if you can register as intern arch with your province of choice or require additional school work/equivalency paperwork. Once you’re an intern, then you can start logging hours and eventually (3 to 5 years on average) write your exams. This is how you get a license here. 

But a license is not required for a job, you just need to demonstrate basic competence with our local codes and construction practice. Loads of competition for entry level gigs tho. 

Jan 3, 21 8:09 am  · 
2  · 
joanab

Ok, thanks for the reply. That's what I wanted to know because from what I've been searching there are some entry-level/intern jobs that require "registration as Intern with the association of architects"

Jan 3, 21 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: