Archinect
anchor

Weight Support In Second Story Bedroom

flyfisher1

My son would like to build a free standing climbing wall in his bedroom.  Calculating the weight using board feet, moisture content, fasteners, holds and so forth the entire project would come in about 650 lbs. The weight will go down over time as the moisture content of the wood decreases

The wall will cover an area that is 10’x8’. His room is on the second floor and will also contain his mattress within the same 10x8 area (he will use it as a crash pad as well as sleeping area.)  The bed weighs around 100 lbs.

The added, and difficult to estimate, issues is that of a human body falling off the wall from time to time and the weight of that impact on the floor.

I want to support my son in his desire to plan and build something, but do not want to damage the integrity of the floor/ceiling/house.

Any input you can offer would be much appreciated.

Dec 28, 20 4:57 pm
Almosthip

I would consult your local structural engineer.  No one here can offer you free advice on this.   It may be free to you but could cost them their licenses.  Just not worth it.  

Dec 28, 20 5:10 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

what happened to your earlier post?

Dec 29, 20 9:34 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Maybe our comments didn't pass muster?

Dec 29, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

I can still see it down below.

Dec 29, 20 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
proto

also kinda depends on how the room is constructed (what era construction? what flr is it on? which walls are bearing walls? etc)

talk to a local engineer -- maybe your friend network has an engineer in it?

Dec 29, 20 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
proto

we did a pandemic climbing wall too...in a breezeway (exterior but covered)...aint cheap esp when you start adding up holds & pads

Dec 29, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: