Archinect
anchor

What did I miss?

sf-ca

8 years ago I left the profession rather abruptly. I had worked mostly in commercial architecture, always in small-mid side companies. I am licensed in another state, and kept up with my CE and license in the meantime. I actually started to enjoy architecture again -probably the distance helped- but I also started to lose some of the day to day know-how.

There are few opportunities surfacing, and I'm considering to tip my toes for no/low-cost consulting to friends and family fore residential to test the waters. When I left, small architecture operations often used Autocad LT and Sketch-up for most of the deliverables and design process. Is there an emerging sole-proprietor software package, a user and prosumer friendly BIM package?

What would you recommend to a person who emerged from an 8 year time capsule?

Dec 28, 20 4:34 pm
JonathanLivingston

Use the tools you have and know. Buildings haven't changed.

Dec 28, 20 4:40 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

ACAD LT and Sketchup are more than sufficient for your needs, you may find SketchUp has changed hands a couple of times and it's a bit more expensive, but that's about it.

Dec 28, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm still on Autocad LT and Sketchup, but seriously considering changing to a BIM platform. (And have been for 10+ years...) Softplan and Chief Architect are worth looking at, as lower-end but still mostly functional programs. Most architects I know doing residential work are on Vectorworks or Archicad, and a few are on Revit. (Probably a few other dinosaurs like me too.) The main things stopping me from upgrading at this point is time--I just can't afford to lose production for at least another six months. If I was starting over and neither cost or time were issues, I'd go with either Archicad or Vectorworks. But if you want to get right to work, not much has changed with Autocad and Sketchup, and they still get the job done.

Dec 28, 20 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I left for 7 years and came back. I think the break helped more than hurt.

Dec 28, 20 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

BIM platforms tend to fall into two categories: Either very expensive or not very good. I wouldn't recommend them for a sole practitioner doing small residential work.

AutoCAD LT is pretty similar to what you remember, other than moving around tool palettes and changing icons for many tools. The current version of SketchUp is pretty far advanced from what you remember (some of its features are starting to approach BIM-like), but still just as user-friendly and low learning curve as ever.

For an even less costly solution with very close to equal functionality, I would recommend DraftSight over ACAD LT, and spend a little more money on some good SketchUp plug-ins.

Dec 28, 20 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: