Archinect
anchor

"Architect/Intern in Tokyo"

monosierra

"Hiring immediately. YOU MUST ALREADY LIVE IN JAPAN OR HAVE A WORK HOLIDAY VISA. We are a boutique design firm based in the heart of Tokyo. Looking for a staff architect to help us with our ongoing luxury hotel projects, with a 3-month trial period. Junior level (2-3 years of experience) or above preferred." https://archinect.com/jobs/ent...

For heaven's sake. Yes, I know Japan has a different working culture and training structure but still -

Dec 21, 20 8:00 am
Non Sequitur

Work produced by shit work culture is not worthy of praise. 

Dec 21, 20 8:04 am  · 
 · 
randomised

What’s wrong with the ad?

Dec 21, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"trial" period and also "accepting interns". Yet asks for architect and with clearly a strong anti foreign application message.

Dec 21, 20 9:05 am  · 
1  · 

how is this anti-foreign? Being in the country is not anti-foreign its just a way to make sure the applicant is available (especially during covid) and has a visa. Its pretty much made for the foreign population in Japan because few Japanese speak English and even fewer are on this website...3 month trial is a good idea in Japan, where it is challenging to fire a person once they are hired full time. Make a mistake in a hire and you may need to live with it or pay your way out of it.

Dec 21, 20 5:03 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Trial period is normal, goes both ways, can be used for both employer and employee to see if things are a match. I’ve quit a job during my trial period once. I wouldn’t refuse a job because there’s a trial period. It is often done to skip a lengthy, time consuming hiring process with multiple interviews, nothing worse than 3/4 rounds of talks and not getting the job. What’s wrong with putting “accepting interns” in an ad? That’s just to indicate they are hiring students not meeting the requirements of the ad, they must be busy!

Dec 21, 20 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

called "Probation" over here.

Dec 21, 20 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’m very curious as to what insulting level the trial compensation offer will be.

Dec 21, 20 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Trial compensation is just the normal salary, in my experience, but with a two-way escape if things don’t work out for whatever reason.

Dec 22, 20 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

nothing wrong with it - temporary job. nothing wrong with asking for someone who can legally work in the country. good in any event; get some foreign experience, and chance to live in a foreign country/culture.

Dec 21, 20 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: