Archinect
anchor

Why was advertising once considered professionally unethical?

caramelhighrise

I'm studying for my Practice Management ARE and I highly doubt this will be on the test, but I keep reading that it was considered unethical to advertise decades ago. Why was this? If anyone on here has been around long enough to have seen that, I'd be really curious to hear some stories.

Dec 20, 20 3:23 pm
quizzical

The basic concept was that, as professionals, we should compete on the basis of skill and competence ... not on the basis of either price or hype.

Dec 20, 20 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ Yes. See also: doctors, lawyers.

Dec 20, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
caramelhighrise

Those were examples I've seen elsewhere, but I still have law firms and all sorts of dentists, physicians, and the like spamming me with ads all the time. Though I can't say I've ever seen a commercial for an architecture firm. I get the idea that our work should speak for itself, but couldn't the same be said for nearly any field? I could argue that a restaurant shouldn't have to advertise because their high quality service and food should speak for itself. So I get the reasoning, but I don't understand why it could be considered unethical. Unnecessary? Maybe. But not unethical.

Dec 20, 20 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm not sure when professional associations' rules changed... back in the '70s or '80s for law, I think. That's when the Jacoby & Meyers tv commercials started here in Calif.

Dec 20, 20 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

The origin of the idea of capital "P" "Professionals" was that Professionals were "gentlemen", while "tradesmen" were commoners. It was assumed that gentlemen didn't need the money and would never do anything as sordid as advertising or competing with one another on price. (Tangentially, this is also why the UK and some Commonwealth countries still have separate Barristers and solicitors - Barristers are gentlemen cannot be hired to take a case, so you must first hire a solicitor who then solicits a Barrister to take your case based only on the merits.)

Dec 21, 20 2:19 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

I also think it used to be in the AIA code of ethics (as well as the engineers, and attorneys professional organizations)... Not sure if it is related to the anti-trust lawsuits they lost.

Dec 21, 20 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 
caramelhighrise

atelier nobody - thanks for sharing, that's fascinating.

Dec 30, 20 1:44 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Closed shop atmosphere...we don't want competition; it's bad for the image, and waters-down profits.

Dec 20, 20 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

You are one ornery and bitter old man . . .

Dec 21, 20 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

it is expensive to advertise, it doesn’t make sense to do so as an architect, at least not to me. who are you trying to reach? everybody needs a dentist, more or less, lots of people require lawyers, but how many people will ever be in need of an architect?

Dec 21, 20 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

The residential architecture firms around me advertise a lot in the local shelter and lifestyle magazines.

Dec 21, 20 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Makes sense, your target audience is right there buying the magazine...didn’t think of those as I never read them

Dec 22, 20 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

In the early 1980's a corporate firm near us tried an ad campaign in business and financial magazines. It didn't seem to catch on. I do, however, see a lot of commercial contractors today advertising design-build services to commercial clients. Most of these arrangements have the architect relegated to the role of a minor subcontractor.

Dec 29, 20 11:02 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Want advertising without someone calling you out? Become a donor for an artistic event that has a donors page in the take-home playbill.

Dec 21, 20 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Even better, play golf every Wednesday with people that matter.

Dec 21, 20 4:54 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd rather cut off my own arm than work for anyone who picks their architects on a golf course.

Dec 21, 20 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

lol, be careful of what you say...want to a fire station? bet you money the fire chief plays golf...want to do a rec centre? the mayor plays golf too...!

Dec 21, 20 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm not the boss, so my opinions don't need to survive the real world.

Dec 21, 20 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

You have an ambition to open up your own practice one day?

Dec 21, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I take it a day at a time. In general I do not. I like architecture. It's a fine profession. I also have a lot of aspirations outside of the profession, and the architects of quality I know do not have the time to do all of the things I enjoy doing.

Dec 21, 20 7:29 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

atelier nobody,

knows his shiet!

Dec 21, 20 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

lots of architects pay money for award nominations.

Dec 22, 20 6:15 pm  · 
3  · 
thisisnotmyname

My local AIA chapter has totally been turned into an advertising scheme for the board members' practices.

Dec 30, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

because architects are too prideful, and that’s why they are losing territory.  

Dec 23, 20 1:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: