Archinect
anchor

What dog is best for architects?

ArchKid

Random thought since I been considering getting a dog.

Whats the best dog for architects who work long hours (8-10) hours a day. What dogs do you have?

Dec 15, 20 12:27 am
randomised

no dog owner myself but the best one would be the one you take to the office with you.

Dec 15, 20 2:47 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I have allergies to dogs. I would be pretty miserable and pissed if I had to deal with symptoms all day because of a fluffy doggy. I won't complain tho, as long as I get to give it belly rubs.

Dec 15, 20 8:51 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Some dogs don't shed hair which help people who are allergic to them. I shed more hair than Chloe does...;)))...!

Dec 15, 20 9:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I think I'm still allergic (haven't been around pets long enough for quite some time now to be sure), but I worked at places where the owner and one partner brought their dog in, and at another where one employee brought hers in...does wonders for morale. Especially in that last office, where people were burning out all around me, suddenly people started taking the dog out for walks and the working atmosphere really improved. But allergies are a big issue obviously, can't bring them in without consulting all the staff.

Dec 15, 20 11:05 am  · 
 · 
proto

Small office w/ lots of fur

Dec 15, 20 11:51 am  · 
5  · 
atelier nobody

I worked in one office where dogs were allowed - it was great. Unfortunately, my own dogs at the time didn't always play well well with others, so they couldn't come, but having the other dogs around was nice.

Dec 16, 20 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

I have a smooth hair standard size dachshund and shes the best. She comes with us most places but is also okay left occasionally alone for up to 4 hours. But you have to train them well...and not buy an inbred one that barks or has spinal issues. She loves chasing sticks and sleeping under blankets.

Dec 15, 20 4:00 am  · 
 · 
levicaldwell

The best thing which I have read here is that she sleeps under the burrito blanket. If I talk about mine then she is so annoying.

Mar 6, 21 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Any dog as long as it’s not a cat. 

Dec 15, 20 5:52 am  · 
3  ·  2
apscoradiales

watch some youtube videos of cats and dogs...will melt your heart.

Dec 15, 20 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Seconded, cats will claw all your rolled drawings to shreds!

Mar 9, 21 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Cats are the best pet for an architect. ;-)

Dec 15, 20 8:28 am  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

working really hard for a thumbs down there....

Dec 15, 20 8:52 am  · 
3  ·  1
Wood Guy

LOL. I have three indoor cats and two barn cats. I love dogs too but our goats are terrified of them so no dog until the goats go to the big pasture in the sky.

Dec 15, 20 10:27 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Thumbs up for the goats. I have a friend with land and somewhat of a hobby farm (mostly bees and chickens). I keep waiting for the day he brings in some goats.

Dec 15, 20 6:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

He can have mine ;-) They can be fun, and can be frustrating. On my docket is designing a 50'x120' barn for goat farmer friends, which will be a fun diversion when I can get to it.

Dec 15, 20 6:48 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

My two dogs were a herding breed (Australian Kelpies) and would often get stir-crazy when home alone - I honestly thought about moving farther from town to where I could afford a little land and getting some goats for no other reason than giving the dogs something to do.

Dec 16, 20 1:35 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

Cats are amazingly hunters. My parents always had indoor/outdoor cats until fairly recently. After the cats were gone rabbits, possums, raccoons, etc were all over their yard.

Mar 9, 21 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

cats are the best dogs

Dec 15, 20 9:18 am  · 
4  · 
apscoradiales

No dog should be left alone for extended periods. They require lots of human contact. cats are more solitary creatures, still I wouldn't want to leave them alone for longer than 4 hours.

Allergies is one reason why companies ban dogs and cats in offices which is very unfortunate, as they would do wonders for people with mental issues.

I only got my Chloe when I retired...she's daddy's little girl...love her.

Dec 15, 20 9:21 am  · 
5  · 
tduds

Agree - if you're working 8-10 hours every day, unless you live close enough to go home several times during the day, or you can afford good active care (& even then only after the first year, young puppies aren't welcome at most doggy daycares), you don't have time for a dog.

We got a pup last year and it only worked because my wife works from home. Damn near drove her insane with the time committment, though. Once we both started working from home it got better.

Anyway this is now a picture thread. Post your pups.

Dec 15, 20 11:52 am  · 
7  · 
apscoradiales

Dogs can be very demanding in care they require. it's like having a little child, though I think they're far cuter and more loyal than kids. Every time we go away, we always have to plan for Chloe - she either stays with the baby sitter if we are gone for a night, but if we're away longer we bring her with us. Then, you have the issue of finding a hotel that accepts dogs, and eating in restaurants...We have even travelled to Europe with her...has her EU passport, hehe...

I wouldn't give her away for a million dollars! Second best thing that happened in my life; wifey is the first.

Dec 15, 20 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

For finding pet friendly hotels, bars, etc. while traveling we love https://www.bringfido.com/

Dec 15, 20 12:11 pm  · 
3  · 
BabbleBeautiful

He'll eat most dogs.

Dec 15, 20 6:05 pm  · 
9  · 
BabbleBeautiful

I worked in an office that allowed dogs. The office culture turned them into miserable little furballs just like their owners. Also, one guy was allergic, but no one cared. Sad.

Dec 15, 20 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ I love dogs.  They can bring so much joy and companionship, and they make life better.  Some of their owners, however, could use some work.  (Not 'parents', not 'humans'-- owners.)  Because not every place is suitable for a dog.

Dec 15, 20 9:24 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

agree with the idea to wait on a dog until the work hours are less or until a spouse can help out.  Wife works from home and pampers this guy all day long

Dec 16, 20 7:09 am  · 
5  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Interesting mix. Half chihuahua and half ?

Dec 16, 20 9:31 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I guess he does look like a mix in this pic, not really sure. Got him from a rescue, took about 2 years for him to really be a good dog for us. His first couple years must’ve been rough

Dec 16, 20 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 
BabbleBeautiful

The short answer is, there's no breed of cat or dog that should be left alone for long periods of time. If you cannot, at the very least, go home during lunch to give them the attention they deserve then forgo dog or cat ownership.

Dec 16, 20 9:31 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

All dogs are best dog.

Dec 16, 20 1:28 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Who’s a good dog?

YOU’re a good dog!!!!!

Mar 6, 21 11:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Meatball2000

Cat is the best dog for architects

Mar 11, 21 2:43 pm  · 
2  · 

My dog is technically a service dog.  He alerts me before my blood sugar goes low (type 1 diabetic).  Unfortunately he's also super social and wants to say high to EVERYBODY so I don't bring him everywhere.  

Mar 16, 21 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pit-bulls

Mar 16, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 
BlazeFoley

Design your own Dog

Mar 16, 21 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: