Archinect
anchor

Self taught architect

Archicatman

Say I'm interested in architecture as a hobby, are there any short courses out there? So skipping all the history and complicated theory and just the essential stuff like software and materials and whatever else is necessary. Is it also necessary to have a license to build a building you design?

Dec 10, 20 7:25 pm
Non Sequitur

Architecture is a fine hobby if you're already wealthy.  You can play architect with the professionals you hire. Other than that, it's a serious profession that too many believe is easy because of silly DIY and home decorating shows.  

But nothing is really stopping you from designing more mediocre shit, you just really can't make much out of it besides personal projects.  The license we all have is for services offered to the public and most places will allow homeowners to produce their own plans and whatnot.   Take a few drafting and tech courses in your local college to get the basics of construction and go from there.

Dec 10, 20 7:48 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

whatever complicated stuff you need to know, you can always come here for advice!

Dec 10, 20 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

They have already... check the history

Dec 10, 20 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I know and the forum has been very helpful all along the journey(!)

Dec 11, 20 2:21 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"skipping all the history and complicated theory "

This is architecture.

"and just the essential stuff like software and materials"

This is drafting and/or construction.

If you're interested in architecture but not being an architect, you want to learn the former but skip the latter. If you want to build stuff without learning "Architecture" you want to learn the latter but skip the former. No shame in either, but it's important to learn enough to know whether or not what you're interested in as a hobby is actually Architecture

Dec 10, 20 9:47 pm  · 
9  · 
apscoradiales

Archicatman,

if you just want to learn software or about materials, take a course (or courses) at a local college...something like architectural technology.

But, you will not be able to practice "architecture".

Dec 10, 20 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Sure, you can certainly learn as much from a couple weeks of YouTube videos as others have spent years of education and work to learn. 

Dec 10, 20 10:21 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Any links, asking for a friend!

Dec 11, 20 2:21 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

the essential stuff is the hard part!

Dec 11, 20 3:19 am  · 
 · 
triplemstudiomarly-rahmah

hi..im marly, i havent complete my lecture in architecture dept. Because do a job in architect consultant as drafter, for now i do profession as architect freelance, i dont want back to university because i think my experience is more than that can i get in university for bachelor degree. That will be spend my time, please any one can tell me how to get an licence in architect. Or do i need the licence or no?

Dec 31, 20 10:17 am  · 
gibbost

I'm sure the OP has good intentions for asking the question.  Likely, he/she is speaking for several folks that would enjoy architecture as a hobby.

It does always strike me that we are one of the few professionals out there where this occurs.  Rarely do you hear people talk about wanting to 'dabble' in medicine or law.  And it can't be the HGTV factor, because lawyers and doctors make up most of primetime television.  What is it about architecture that makes people curious, but not enough to want to go to school and learn it?

I yearn to make architecture a hobby too, but being a rock star never really panned out.

Dec 31, 20 11:28 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Its a weird mix of art and professional practice that is not an essential service to the vast majority of people. Lawyers, doctors, and accountants are hired by more people than architects and their work has direct financial and mortal consequences on everyone. You would rarely interfere with the work of these folks, on the assumption that they know what they're doing. Ditto architects, except style is really really subjective and a homeowner who could afford to hire an architect could just as easily override stylistic decisions. Now the actual technical work of architecture is every bit as complicated as these other professions' but that side of architcture is rarely seen by the vast majority of folks tuned in to HGTV or seeing celebrities "design" something with a napkin sketch. Design is simultaneously easy and hard - yes, anyone with a crayon could scribble a dream house but it takes immense care, knowledge, and coordination to get it constructed. There is no napkin sketch for doctors, lawyers, and accountants.

Dec 31, 20 12:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

People who occupy buildings use the services of architects. So most people use the services of an architect most everyday. :/

Sep 30, 23 11:18 am  · 
 · 
markodeo

Frank Lloyd Wright, not self taught, but well trained, and no schooling whatsoever and he created a school for architects. 

Just trying to wind up some people...

Jan 2, 21 7:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Try harder or find a fresher horse to beat.

Jan 2, 21 8:37 am  · 
 · 
midlander

he studied civil engineering. he's not really as self taught as he liked to present

Jan 2, 21 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Only for TWO SEMESTERS or something like that. Not possible in any academic environment where teaching is paced at the average pace of a classroom full of students at their average rate of understanding the subject matter. Frank had largely self-directed his learning. Sure, he got some formal education. Everyone has some "formal education" (didactic style learning type education). A rather gifted person maybe more autodidactic in that they learned how to search for information and learn by being taught how to learn on their own initiative and taking time to learn. This doesn't mean they learn everything in a complete and absolute void of teachers. Sometimes, even the teachers are the authors of various text material studied. Frank in fact built upon his knowledge but even when working for Louis Sullivan, who had more things to do than spend all his time teaching Frank how to draw or how to do everything. He had a firm and from the time Frank left college and when he started designing his own homes, it wasn't that much time.

Jan 3, 21 6:53 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Anything that can be taught in a classroom or school campus building can be learned outside that environment. However, learning outside the traditional teacher-student role requires more self-direction and self-initiative to learn. However, certain things do need to be taught like how to look for information... how to read... and so forth but if you have that already (such as good schooling during elementary school days), it is not outside reason for a person to learn architecture even outside of normal schooling. That aside, we live in a regulated profession environment that was in its infacy of formation and at that point had no major effect on Frank's ability to practice. 

Most of his career, he need not a license to practice in the states where he practiced and when they did, he was grandfathered in when they started adopting licensure regulations. In most states, at the very beginning, they were more... just a title law and over time they began to regulate the practice of architecture by expanding the regulatory scope of the law.

However, because we live in a different regulatory environment, we have to keep in mind that to practice architecture (especially designing non-exempt buildings) requires licensure. 

Jan 3, 21 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, see my comment above about the dead horse beating.

Jan 3, 21 4:58 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Good point. We hashed this dead horse for sure. Problem is people don't see them on the first page or so on a forum like this. Most people just don't look for that so they ask questions others have asked or likewise the same dead horse is beaten again because this platform requires educating each person, one at a time and the cycle repeats over and over and over.... broken record phenomenon.

Jan 3, 21 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Broken Record Phenomenon should be your next username, Balkykins 

Jan 3, 21 6:29 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

That's better than Dead Horse Beater. Someone else here might have greater claim to that title!

Jan 3, 21 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
markodeo

I was just bored and lonely and locked down when I posted that comment about FLLW.

Jan 6, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

iyou can do whatever you want as long as the client likes it

Jan 9, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
lesterk'teng

I graduated with BA degree in graphic design and since then I developed ambitions in Architecture, and begin reading and doing some sketches.I'm 40 now, would like to resign as a secondary school teacher and live the other half of my life doing small projects and concentrate on improving the outlook and give new form and aesthetic view of my property, and add marketable value of my property.

I accept your comments.

Sep 27, 23 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

you can’t teach or learn “taste”. Do you have it?

Sep 28, 23 6:08 am  · 
1  ·  1
gwharton

I would describe that more generally as "judgement" rather than "taste." And yes, it really can't be taught. You either have it or you don't.

Sep 28, 23 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I strongly disagree. Nobody is born with innate style, it's something you can develop. Some people are certainly more drawn to it than others. I don't care about style but I do care about having happy clients who are confident in me, so I study things like how to dress stylishly and what current and "timeless" trends are. A carpenter and man-about-town I used to work with had on his business card, "purveyor of taste." I've always thought that was clever and pretty much what I offer to my clients.

Sep 30, 23 10:27 am  · 
1  · 
smaarch

ahhhh of course
....."skipping all the history and complicated theory and just the essential stuff like software and materials". You'll fit right  in. Most American Firms have already managed to do this,,,,,
Sort of like playing the guitar. Why bother with the classics when you can just jump into a Rock n Roll Band with 3 chords.......

Sep 28, 23 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
ARteMiss
So, I can take chemistry and biology and call myself a doctor!!!! Whooo hoooo!!!!!
Oct 1, 23 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
ARteMiss
I had a prof in architecture school who used to say, “We only teach you 3% of what you need to know in architecture school, but it’s the most important 3%”.
Oct 2, 23 1:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: