Archinect
anchor

How would you price a contract for a duplicate building on a new site?

K80_OR

I have a customer interested in building multiples of the same structure - in addition to time for a new site plan based on the new site, what kind of fee would you charge for a duplicate design? 

Dec 7, 20 10:53 pm
Non Sequitur

the same as the first one. Liability is the same. 

Dec 7, 20 11:07 pm  · 
4  · 
senjohnblutarsky

They're never the same.  Maybe you don't charge full price, but expect there to be cost associated with changes, permitting, approvals, and other irritations. 

Dec 8, 20 9:04 am  · 
2  · 
gibbost

Agree with those above.  Your client doesn't plan to charge any less for his/her service from one building to the next.  Don't be fooled by an owner that suggests that it's simply a 'copy/paste' job.  (Side note: I once had a restauranteur come to me a year after completing a project and say that he wanted to build another one across town.  'Same thing, different location' he said.  He assumed a steep discount.  I asked him if he planned to serve the same menu at a discount in the new location.  I could see the light bulb go on and he agreed to a similar fee as the first project).

Dec 8, 20 10:50 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Excellent.

Dec 8, 20 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

You could charge him on an hourly bases. What you can re-use charge him to do "save-as", and printing costs. What you have to do from scratch - like the site plan, site services, permits, tendering, inspections, etc. charge him an hourly rate.

Also speak to the consultants to make sure they're on the same page as you and as your client.

Don't be greedy, after all he came back to you for another project. 

Who knows, he may come back for some more later. So, be nice.

Dec 8, 20 11:50 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

I would charge an initial full design fee, then a flat base fee per reuse, then an hourly fee for whatever site specific variables, etc...

Dec 8, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Use your regular contract for initial design, then have a Reuse agreement that stipulates a price per re-use, and sets an hourly rate for site specific adjustments and submittals. I would also add some type of language that prevents the developer from reusing the plans without your involvement.

Dec 8, 20 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 
K80_OR

Thanks everyone! We're going to go with 20% off what the original design cost, and that will only include site plan changes. 

Dec 8, 20 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: