Archinect
anchor

People who ask things 'for their own edification' in meetings, why?

Koww

why not just ask your question? i don't need to hear your purported motivation for asking.

thanks

Nov 8, 20 5:16 pm
bowling_ball

... And I don't need to hear your questioning of others' questions. Cool story.

You're welcome

Nov 8, 20 5:31 pm  · 
2  · 
Koww

what if i'm asking for my own edification? 

Nov 8, 20 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Bunch of snobs - using that word in the wrong context, tell them to fuck off.

Nov 8, 20 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

what if i'm asking my own oedipal sation?

Nov 8, 20 11:19 pm  · 
1  · 
caramelhighrise

I find that telling my superiors to fuck off during meetings doesn't get me very far.

Nov 14, 20 11:24 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I ask the "dumb" questions so that the juniors in the room who are afraid to lose face can hear the answer. I don't give a fuck if you think less of me. 

Nov 8, 20 8:36 pm  · 
10  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Exactly. Too many people presume to know.

Nov 8, 20 9:04 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

I wish there were more people like that in meetings, asking the so-called dumb questions instead of assuming everybody is up to speed on everything all the time, even when it is not even your field of expertise.

Nov 9, 20 2:12 am  · 
3  · 
curtkram

i ask dumb questions because i'm a dumb architect

Nov 10, 20 8:06 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Ironically, you're trying to learn the answer to this for your own edification.  Hey-oh!

Nov 9, 20 12:02 am  · 
3  · 
natematt

This.

Nov 10, 20 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Knowing the reason someone is asking a question often affects what the answer is. By noting it's for personal edification they are saying that there is no applicable reason other than educating them. Also, it's a fancy word that most people can pronounce, so it makes them sound smart. 

Nov 10, 20 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 
RValu100

Just don't use the word "impactful". Even if it's for your own edification.

Nov 16, 20 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you refer to the impactuarial table...

Nov 16, 20 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
so it goes

A lot of times people will mention it's for their "edification" because... it genuinely is. I see it a lot with younger female staff in particular. This is because (at my firm at least) they feel that they need to justify why they would speak up at all.

A better question to ponder is what is going on with the team dynamic that makes these people feel that way? It's often a sign of toxic culture. So ask yourself what you might be doing to contribute to that environment. Maybe you need some edifying too so you can be a better colleague and less of a prick.

Dec 8, 20 3:52 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: