Archinect
anchor

Searching for Career advices on Architectural Technician

aseedof

I am a freelance designer and worked construction for three years. In the construction industry, I developed the interest of CAD drafting. I am planning to study a Diploma of Architectural Technician.

-Would study in a Diploma of Architectural Technician give me a ticket to be in the Architectural Drafting industry? 

-What are the basic skills that I need to be an Architectural Technician? 

-In the long run, Architectural Technician is a good choice? 

Many Thanks! 

Oct 23, 20 12:17 pm
Non Sequitur

We call this architectural technologist in my area and they are very-much in demand.  Job responsibilities can range but they are mostly production staff (CAD & BIM) with very little design tasks.  Basic skills, outside of software, are at a minimum a good understanding of construction and how to detail buildings for the purpose of construction.

Others in this field will find themselves producing shop drawings for contractors or product suppliers... others might find a gig doing drawings for large residential builders or home-depo kitchen renovations.  I've known some to work at Ikea.

One important thing is, and I've written this elsewhere on the forum before, is that a good tech is worth several junior M.arch grads but these folks are rare.  There is an obvious career ceiling and many become jaded that they are not/cannot/never will be architects.

Oct 23, 20 2:06 pm  · 
3  · 
aseedof

Thanks Non. Would it be possible for an Architectural Technical graduate becomes an Architectural model maker? It’s true that not all people can be an Architect.

Oct 24, 20 10:42 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Anybody can become a model maker, never mind an architectural. All you need is talent, and the ability to convince the firm that you can make models. We used to use a model making company to do our fancy models - I don't think anyone working there had any architectural background. They built models for architectural firms, car makers, machine tool and die companies, you name it. For cheap, and cheese looking models we did it ourselves - from the receptionist to the Principal of the firm and everyone in between. 

To become an "Architect" you need a degree from a University (or College in the States) - aka School of Architecture, have a few years or a couple of years of experience in various projects, pass the exams, and then pay your fee.

Oct 24, 20 12:12 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

aseedof ,

what Non Sequitur said is correct. Small revision - there are Architectural Technicians, and there are also Architectural Technologists - at least in Canada. Not sure how it works in USA, though.

Both are programmes taught at Community Colleges; Technician is a two year course, while the Technologists are three, sometimes four. Technologists are taught more about building technology than the Technicians, but over time and experience they end up being pretty well equal in their abilities. When it comes to preparation of Working Drawings, I would prefer to work with either over any graduate architect. Architects are simply not taught as much about preparation of Working drawings and building technology. Arguably, even when it comes to Design Development package, the Technicians and the Technologists are better equipped than young architects.

Sometimes the Technologists find it more challenging to work on the DD package. When they see two lines for a wall, their training and education will force them to think, "how in the hell are we going to build that wall?", whereas Architects don't much care about it at that stage.

Keep in mind, there is a higher turnover for Technicians and the Technologists than Architects. Once the Working Drawings are done, many of them get laid off until another project comes along.

Oct 23, 20 3:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

What he said but with a small correction: "whereas Architects don't much care about it at that stage."

The good architects do care. We care alot about this.

Oct 23, 20 4:03 pm  · 
2  · 
aseedof

Many thanks apscoradiales. According to your words, I have following understanding. Architects taking care of conceptual parts, leading and visualizing the ideas. Technician following the codes and crafting the plans. Is that correct?

Oct 24, 20 10:53 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Roughly speaking, that's true. There are always overlaps on duties depending on staffing, their abilities, and how busy the office is. In small offices, you end up doing everything including answering phone calls at the switchboard. In larger places, tasks are more segregated.

Oct 24, 20 12:19 pm  · 
1  · 
aseedof

In my imagination,the architects having more talks on concept development and communication with the clients.They would have more chance to use 3D rendering softwares and Revit to visualize their idea. The Architectural technicians would use more AutoCAD to put the details for plan and elevation views according to the instructions and the building codes.What would be the possible assignment for an entry level technicians or architects? (If you give them the first task in a company, what would that be?) Many thanks.

Oct 24, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
aseedof

Should both Architect and Technician passing the BCIN exam and being the AATO member?

Many thanks!

Oct 24, 20 10:47 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Not sure what the question is. Rephrase it please.

Oct 24, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Not sure what your question is. Please, rephrase it.

Oct 24, 20 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
aseedof

BCIN is an Ontario Building code exam. I saw some Architectural Technician courses prepares the student to take this exam. Once the student passed the exam, they would be eligible to sign the architectural plan. I wonder if the architect needs to pass the same examination. Or, there would have another examination for the Architect.

Oct 24, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

BCIN is an Ontario specific thing and it allows you to produce documents for construction for chapter 9 buildings. Anyone can take those tests.

Oct 24, 20 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 
aseedof

So, the BCIN exam can be prepared by self studying?

Oct 24, 20 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is some prep course, I think, but last time I looked, I don’t think it had a degree prerequisite. With that said, doubtful a layman could pass without real world experience.

Oct 24, 20 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 
aseedof

Thanks Non Sequitur. It’s good to know how the professional rates the significance of this exam.

Oct 24, 20 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Non Sequitur,

"The good architects do care. We care alot about this."

LOL........

"So, where are the columns?"

"Oh, we don't know. You figure it out. Here is the number for the Structural Consultant if you need it"

I spent a lot of my life doing Working Drawings. I always asked to get involved at the DD package, otherwise, I would end up with dog's breakfast...and only two weeks to do the WD package, and no money, "We don't have many hours left on the job, and the Owner is already bitching".

YAAAH!

Oct 24, 20 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

This web site is pretty funky! Sometimes comment appears, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it's edited and reduced to a single sentence!

WTF moderators?!

Oct 24, 20 12:42 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

aseedof,

First task as a Technician/Technologist?

Depends on your experience; if you have at least two years, you'd be put into production of Working Drawings. If you're straight out of school; take the garbage out, make prints, assemble various tender packages, check in shop drawings...

First task as an Architect in a larger firm?

Assist design staff, usually doing CAD drawings for Design Development package. Sometimes do Sample Boards. In a small firm, you'd be doing the same shit as Technician/Technologist's first task. Don't consider that as an insult; it's all part and parcel of an architectural practice. Even the principals have to take the garbage out when the troops aren't at work or have left for home.

Oct 24, 20 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
aseedof

These is important information for me to understand the difference between the technicians and the architect in the industry. I feel very thankful to have your guidances, apscoradiales and Non Sequitur.

Oct 24, 20 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

You're welcome. Go for it, and good luck.

Oct 24, 20 5:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: