Archinect
anchor

Not that this news matters but...

deathbydesign

...to some (if not all) of you applying to the GSD for 2021, the GRE has been waived for this incoming application season only. This could save some of you who have not registered or taken it yet a couple of bucks and give you a bit of extra time to focus on the more important things like portfolio and essay. 

But with the pandemic's indefinite longevity (god knows if we're still here next year), is it even a good/best time (and is it worth it) to apply and go to grad school?

Sep 3, 20 7:40 pm
Jay1122

They should waive this forever for architecture grad school. GRE has nothing to do with art and design. Especially with portfolio in place to show real skill and talent. Undergrad GPA already indicates general learning skill and performance. It is possible one can be really poor with Exams and still be a fantastic designer. I get why GRE is necessary for non portfolio based majors. Not too many factors to compare candidates at. MSAAD does not require GRE last time i checked. Which i really love, short duration and no GRE. Geared towards professionals coming back to grad school.

Sep 4, 20 11:59 am  · 
4  · 
deathbydesign

Absolutely agree especially with how it has nothing to do with art and design. Personally, I think the weight/percentage in terms of the relevance of the GRE is something that's already being carried by (1) the GPA and (2) Curriculum Vitae/Resume---simply the fact that an applicant has already finished a degree and has had work experience prior to graduate school. GRE is also an unnecessary expense. 

The MSAAD's of Columbia and Cornell don't require I just checked. Hopefully Harvard makes this permanent and other schools will follow suit (especially for M.Arch II's/MAUD's/MSAAD's/MSAUD's/MDesS's/MDE's/etc. and other post-professional degrees). 

Sep 4, 20 1:18 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

I think Columbia used to be one of the only schools that had a hard baseline minimum score to apply back when I was looking ... and it was actually asking for you to do pretty well.

Sep 24, 20 4:49 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

While the GRE has little to do with design, these graduate schools are still part of their respective Universities and have to ensure that their students meet the minimal academic standards expected of graduate students there. Now if these were independent design schools - then the GRE would perhaps be pointless. But until design schools come up with their versions of the GMAT / LSAT / MCAT, the GRE will have to stand in as a proxy of general academic aptitude.

Nov 16, 20 7:50 am  · 
 · 
heidihng

Without GRE, do you think they would put more weights on GPA and other criteria? 

Sep 23, 20 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Only schools who build their reputation with statistics cared about GRE with any degree beyond people not having bombed it. Similarly, GPA is mostly just a hurdle to get over. 

The real maker/breaker is the portfolio. 

Sep 24, 20 4:43 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

Agree with natematt re: portfolio.

I think not having the GRE retains the hierarchy and weight of the other requirements? If ever, it's percentage in criteria will most probably be added to portfolio and personal statement (and probably recommendations).

I've seen successful applicant's posts here getting admitted into their dream schools/top choice schools even with below to average GRE scores and GPA. 

Sep 24, 20 5:03 am  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

More apps this round I expect. GRE was a pain to get done and means very little I expect.

Sep 23, 20 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Not sure if this is a good thing though.

Sep 24, 20 4:42 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

Definitely more applications this year for sure---but we don't know. Unless people are actually getting updates or checking the school's websites themselves, this GRE waive has been pretty low-key. (Not anymore thanks to this post though and I think someone else posted about this too)

Also, there's the uncertainty of this pandemic's longevity. We don't know for how long before everything is properly back to normal---especially the travel part. It plays such a huge factor for schools to resume classes in campus (both for domestic and international students). 

Sep 24, 20 5:09 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

GRE was a pain to get done and means very little I expect.

Also a very expensive unnecessary expense. Some POS in this forum said "it's easy and it's only $200." I hope he/she has never had to slave away for that amount. 

Sep 24, 20 5:16 am  · 
 · 
natematt

It really is a worthless thing for architecture students. However, no one really looked that hard at it previously anyway, except maybe those schools who prefer to inflate statistics. 

Sep 24, 20 4:40 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

I read from another thread that GRE and GPA are the basis for awarding scholarships/funding, but again it's in this same forum that I've read/seen people get really good funding even with below to average scores. I think the respective departments/schools (within the universities) are just complying because their main administration is telling them to.

Sep 24, 20 5:14 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

To add, Yale and Princeton have waived their GRE requirements too.

Sep 24, 20 5:15 am  · 
 · 
cbkk

Columbia, Cornell, MIT, Penn and Rice (all M.Arch) as well. Thinking this round might be a dry run for a lot of these schools considering removing the requirement permanently.

Sep 25, 20 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

Same sentiments. I wonder though if the number of applications this year is expected to be higher because of this requirement waive or lower (because of the pandemic and its effects on the economy, etc.)

Sep 26, 20 4:11 am  · 
 · 
DustFlâneur

For the schools that have waived the requirement for the GRE, do you think that they will still review it if you do submit your score? Will people who still decide to include their GRE scores within their applications be placed at a better position amongst other applicants?

Nov 15, 20 8:40 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

I think it depends on the school and its application portal. There's no option for Harvard and Princeton to upload GRE scores, while at Yale, there is. In fact, for Yale, in the last section of the application (Review part), it notifies you what else is lacking in your application, and it highlights the GRE/Scores section if you didn't put or upload any. I take it that by having the option to upload or send them your GRE scores, they will include reviewing your application.

Nov 16, 20 6:35 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

There's no option for Harvard and Princeton to upload GRE scores

By this, I meant they've disabled this part since the requirement is waived. 

Nov 16, 20 6:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: