Archinect
anchor

Career advice: transition from architecture

bishoyadel

Hello,

I graduated from architectural engineering school in 2016, I was diagnosed with borderline a couple years ago. I couldn't hold a job for more than 2 months and the sum of all my jobs was about 10 months or less since I graduated till now. I never worked a day in architecture, I worked in sales and graphic design and ESL teaching. I originally went to engineering school to be a computer engineer but after the first year I found out that architecture was easier than computer engineering (or that's what I thought at the time) and I converted to architecture dept. I hated architecture in school but I had to graduate, so I did and now I'm lost. anyway I don't expect a psychological advice here, but due to the borderline I change my mind like crazy. Now I want to have a job helping people in distress but apparently these kinds of jobs in Egypt don't have so much prestige and don't get you so much money. Money and prestige are what my family thinks I should go after in a job. And right now I'm actually not motivated to work _or live_ by any other reason than to get my family to stop arguing and forcing me to get a job, I really don't have any energy to argue.

I know some of you would say I should get help with the borderline but I've been seeing psychiatrists for 3 years, so, yea, it seems that I'm stuck with this.

Now I know that my question is weird and not coherent or consistent but if you can't give me advice to what I should transition to, at least be nice, because some words can really hurt.

Thanks.

Aug 29, 20 9:29 am
Archinect

Hi bishoyadel - an architectural education can give you the tools, knowledge and experience to move into a variety of fields. For some inspiration, check out our series Working Out Of The Box that profiles individuals that pivoted from architecture to successful careers in other industries.

Aug 29, 20 1:57 pm  · 
4  · 
bishoyadel

Thank you so much.

Aug 29, 20 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Spiceman45

damn...archinect is getting deep.

why don't you try project management, cm, real estate, interior design..

Aug 30, 20 12:48 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: