Archinect
anchor

Leaving the A/E/C industry all together?

Spiceman45

Hello!
I have had designer and project manager roles..and just feeling the atmosphere of the industry is just not for me..the personalities, schedules, non-flexibility..I think i'm just all set with it.

Has anybody made a successful transition out of the A/E/C world?
Would love to hear your story

Thanks!

Aug 27, 20 5:56 pm
midlander

i guess anyone who did has better things to do than post here. Anecdotally, I know a few people who took over unrelated family businesses and just practice architecture on the side doing renovations and small fun stuff. It's a surprisingly small minority though - I guess about 90% of my classmates who  graduated have related jobs, though maybe less than half are traditional designer architects. Personalities, schedules, and rigidity are problems in nearly any work environment.

Aug 27, 20 8:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Since you are so deep down the road, unless there is new opportunity presents itself, it is rather hard to start all over due to lack of experience. And do you know there are nice chill architecture offices out there that have friendly people, non demanding hours, huge flexibility in work hours. The first firm i worked out of school is like that. The only down side and reason i leave is that there is no real architecture being done. It is a 60 person firm doing 99% quick renovation projects, easy and profitable. Owner thinks fancy project is all ego, he just wants money. If you do not care about architecture, those are nice office jobs just like any other industry except the pay may be a little lower than average. But if you can be a lead PA/PM, you will likely earn big $$ with bonus, it is the low level drafter that suffers. Much better than starting over in new field. If you are going to start your own business in other field, or have another specific passion you want to pursuit, then it is completely different. But in terms of just working for salary, there are nice easy jobs in this field.

Aug 28, 20 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Spiceman45

rather hard, but people transition out of industries all the time. the only person stopping you is yourself.

i graduated with people who got into software, ui/ux, landscape design, real estate, etc.

Aug 28, 20 10:32 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

My neighbor's kid (architect) lost his job during the last recession.  To make ends meet, he took a job selling cars... Found out he was really good at it and didn't go back to architecture when the economy recovered.  I've heard he makes more than he did as a licensed architect with probably 7 years of experience. Heard he is much happier, tons less stress, and actually has a life/hobbies.

Aug 28, 20 10:46 am  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Oh, it wasn't his first try either; As a young idealistic architect, he tried writing a architectural theory book (failure), also got in with a few buddies doing a design/build modern house just as the economy tanked (lost his ass). His first attempt after losing work was writing science fiction books... also a failure. Basically... you'll have to keep trying different things until you find a good fit.

Aug 28, 20 10:51 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Commission based is possible to make a lot of money if you are good at sales. If you don't care about architecture, there are so many jobs better than architecture, but nearly all of them require certain experience and professional knowledge.You have to give up your architecture experience and start over if it is unrelated field. There are no high pay easy jobs for beginners, if there is, no one would work in Mcdonalds or warehouses. And those book writing, firm starting attempt, that is entrepreneur. He can't even hold down a job during recession, i doubt he is good enough for opening new business.

Aug 28, 20 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Spiceman45

That is spot on i think for everyone. 

keep trying learning 

Aug 28, 20 11:00 am  · 
 · 
awkeytect

I successfully transitioned out for comparable reasons to those you mentioned. I would say I was fortunate to have broad exposure and responsibility immediately after graduating which led me to understand after three years that it was never going to be 30. But then again - would another office/city/peer group/etc. change this reality? Impossible questions. It took me three more years to commit to the change. 

Its a personal choice, of course - but in my case, I could not be happier. I still enjoy architecture and maintain my license, AND jump on archinect (where I used to live) from time to time - primarily to encourage people like yourself to recognize the power of your choices. I'd say if you have had thought - go after it, its not a thought that goes away. 

Aug 28, 20 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Do you mind share some more on where you transitioned into, give us a sense on whether it is a related field, or you started all over in something else unrelated. I don't like vague stuff.

Aug 28, 20 5:10 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

It's pretty normal to be a little disillusioned in the first year or so after school, as you discover what a distorted view of the profession you got from your "education".  If you're still not feeling good about things after 5-10 years, even after getting licensed and a certain amount of recognition, then that is a red flag.  But, in the end, work sucks; that's why you get paid.  No career will ever be perfect.

Aug 30, 20 9:42 pm  · 
3  ·  1

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: