Archinect
anchor

Scope of architecture jobs in USA

abhishekanpat

I’m planning to take a master’s degree in architecture in USA. What is the scope of architecture jobs?

Aug 27, 20 3:11 am
Non Sequitur

depends; It’s a big place. Current environment is pretty shifty in almost every aspect tho.  

Aug 27, 20 7:07 am  · 
1  · 

As non said it's a big place.  I've only worked in the Midwest (MN, ND,SD, WI) and western Colorado in smaller communities under 300,000 population so I can only comment on those areas. 

Overall I think the job market is sluggish.  People aren't sure what's going to happen so they aren't hiring.  Firms that are hiring are super busy so you'll get as much responsibility as you can handle and then some. 

Regardless, your first job out of school in the US is going to primarily be some type of production - aka drafting.  That is unless you have some serious design skills and the student intern work experience to back it up.  

Good luck! 

Aug 27, 20 9:55 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

You are asking for how things will be in roughly 3-4 years when you would be graduating and looking for a job.  Fairly difficult to predict that far out, especially given the current circumstances.

Aug 27, 20 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Feels like someone outside the country trying to understand if USA is a nice place to move to and develop career. Honestly, I think Europe is better with architecture practices in general. They are not cheap on construction and not exploit workers as hard, well just my guess, never been there. Anyway the market is always there, It all depends on how good you are. You should worry more about your legal work status problem. Work visa is tough and sponsorship is not easy to get. If you can get green card, then it is more viable.

Aug 27, 20 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

This. Getting authorization to actually be able to do work is far more difficult than considering if one should work in the US or finding a job itself.

Aug 27, 20 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

I'm from Europe, people are cheap there too, they're cheap everywhere. And they're expoiting people as well, especially young architects are fucked. My friends GF works for BIG in Denmark, they have a hairdresser who's coming to their office to cut their hair, so they can work even more. Of course any overtime us unpaid. They all work that way

Aug 27, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Oh no, now you crushed my dreams. There are some golden firms in U.S. tho. Good project, nice hour, respectful people, decent pay. It is all perfect except you can not get in because someone else took the spot.

Aug 27, 20 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: