Archinect
anchor

Laptop For Architecture Students

ArchStud.id

Hello,

I made this post because I need help to choose the correct laptop for my university.

I need an affordable laptop that can run AutoCad and other similar  programs.

Cost about 600-700€ 

Aug 26, 20 11:50 am
Non Sequitur

Hopefully one powerful enough to do a basic forum search.

https://archinect.com/searchall/laptop-school/forum

Aug 26, 20 11:58 am  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Any regular laptop will run those programs easily. Rendering tho, another story. CPU based will always be slow. GPU based you need nice graphic card. Just pick the best gaming laptop you can afford that is not too heavy to carry.

Aug 26, 20 12:47 pm  · 
1  · 
ArchStud.id

Thanks for your quick response!

I would like to here more opinions about specific divices. Which laptops do you recomend?

Aug 27, 20 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

one with english spellcheck.

Aug 27, 20 7:34 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

Not something expensive...600-700$

Aug 27, 20 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

If you can't even research a simple laptop. How are you going to explore the undefined architecture. Are you going to ask us design ideas for your studio classes too? You have a tough road ahead of you.

Aug 27, 20 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a 2007 intel MP pro that I'll sell you for $500

Aug 27, 20 8:41 am  · 
 · 
randomised

€700 = $825 or $700 = €592, so what’s your budget?

Aug 27, 20 11:40 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

Sorry for my wrong English spelling...

I just asked for some help because I don’t want to make a wrong choice. I think this is what is all about...helping people 

Anyway, I wasn’t going to ask for anything further...like ideas and staff. I just need a laptop lol

Aug 27, 20 11:46 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

My budget is 600-750€  Or 700-800 $CAD 

thanks 

Aug 27, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Canadian loonies are better than European euros.

Aug 27, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

I want to here more opinions from people that want to help instead of criticize English spelling, project ideas etc

Aug 27, 20 11:50 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

hear *

Aug 27, 20 11:52 am  · 
1  · 
square.

ask your university, they should be giving you guidance on this.

Aug 27, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

Yeah that’s true too!!

Aug 27, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Here is the serious answer for people really looking to buy useful laptop for architecture work. You need strong spec but cheap. It is better to buy sub brand gaming laptop, never buy those fancy workstation type they promote.I would suggest MSI laptop. I would go with GE series for general purpose. GS series is better with slim profile and less weight, but they cost more. I had Asus before but their quality is not good, broke down. Or buy Alienware if you are rich. I build my own custom PC for some rendering, which was around $4000 so i know a thing or two about PC specs. Honestly your budget of 600-700 is way too low for anything decent. Although I am not familiar with european market, at that price, it makes no difference what you get, they are all bare minimum. But laptop should be just supplemental, you should have a dedicated PC for your studio anyway. Case closed. Now if you want to ask me for a custom build PC for your use, that will be different, i can guide you on where to spend your $$ for most return.

Aug 27, 20 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

Finally!! Thank you

Aug 27, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

What about this one ? 

Aug 27, 20 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

given your budget, you won't get anything good. This thing does not even have a dedicated GPU.

Aug 27, 20 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

And the CPU seems slow to me 1.8Ghz. 8GB ram is too little, atleast 16GB since you will do drafting and modeling, maybe even rendering. You should avoid light weight slim laptops, they are usually low spec. High spec slim ones are way more expensive.

Aug 27, 20 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

Another laptop that I was thinking about

Aug 27, 20 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

No, RAM is insufficient and NVIDA or AMD graphics would be better. Also, I have owned several HP laptops and while they are generally lower priced than similar Dell or Lenovo, they are not terribly durable or reliable. If the online Dell Business Outlet store ships to your country, I would look there for something.

Aug 27, 20 8:33 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

can confirm, HP is shit.

Aug 27, 20 11:59 pm  · 
1  · 
ArchStud.id

Okey thank you

Aug 28, 20 1:35 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Increase your budget a bit - the better the computer the longer you'll be able to use it (usually). Worth it in the long run; cut back on buying coffee and might balance out financially ;)

Aug 28, 20 1:39 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

what about asus laptops ? Like vivobook, maybe...

Aug 29, 20 4:41 am  · 
 · 
ArchStud.id

Any evaluations about this  Asus laptop ?

Is it enough for an Architecture Student ?

Aug 29, 20 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
ronwis

I am not an architecture student so sorry for disturbing you in the first place. I am just interested in making maps for houses and all that. For such purpose I want to know which app would be good enough. I want to design my own house. Thank you. 

Mar 11, 22 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Microsoft Paint or Sketchup.

Mar 11, 22 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

This is what I'm telling people I do from now on, maybe I will get bigger fees. I make maps of buildings

Mar 11, 22 10:34 am  · 
 · 
ronwis

Thanks for helping me out. 

Jul 18, 22 1:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: