Archinect
anchor

Can canadian architects work in EU?

Jmmu23

https://raic.org/news/canada-a...

Hello, so I read this yesterday and I was wondering if someone knows more about this. Was this ratified?? Is it official now?

Aug 7, 20 5:28 pm
apscoradiales

I think you will still need a work permit or immigration papers, and those  are not easy to get.

All this agreement does is, it recognises members of individual architects societies/memberships with some qualifications.

In other words, you will not have to go back to school for four or five years.

Best thing to do would be to get a EU passport if you have a mom or dad who were born in one of the EU countries.

Aug 8, 20 9:27 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Furthermore,

You will need some European experience in order to work there, just like they would to work in Canada.

Architects in Europe work differently than in Canada or USA.

They do not draw as much as we do, for example. A lot of details we would normally do, they don't bother with unless they want some specific look. Otherwise, most of the detailing is done by the contractors doing the construction. That's why most of their construction workers are well trained in what they do, whereas in Canada any jackass can pick-up a hammer and start nailing.

Another aspect that's a whole lot different over there than here is the building and material technology. They are light years ahead of Canadian building technology with many more choices than what we have. Roofing materials, cladding materials, floor materials/construction, windows, doors, you-name-it, they have many more options available.

Even in a pure architectural sense, they're ahead in my opinion.

While we build cheap/tacky, and very much fake Victorian-style houses for example, they are into modern contemporary stuff.

They also do a lot of renovations to older buildings than we do, so you would have to be familiar with how people built 200-300 years ago.

It is a different world over there.

Having said all this, if you have a chance to work there - particularly in Germany, Austria or Switzerland, go for it!

For a taste of what Austrians are doing, check this web site;

https://www.austria-architects.com/en/projects?page=3

Aug 8, 20 10:44 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

We have just as good a selection of finishes and materials. Our codes and standards are different tho, and in my cases more advanced.

Aug 8, 20 11:40 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I'd say we've got the selection, but quality European fixtures and finishes are usually only found in specialty shops and aren't making it into the average new build on the Canadian market. I stayed in a pretty average German condo once and while it didn't have granite counter tops or status symbol type fixtures, it did feature a shower without lip to step over, or a cheap plastic liner, wall mounted toilets (easier to clean under and don't plug), tilt and turn windows and electric exterior roller shades that kept the place completely silent and dark at night. All of this you can get in Canada, but we favour cheesy stone finishes, stainless steel appliances and "aspirational" touches that are actually pretty low quality but look good in condo marketing.

Aug 8, 20 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Just to single out some exterior wall, and cladding materials they have in most parts of Europe, but are not available in Canada.

Aug 8, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

One significant diffeence in codes.

Aug 8, 20 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Comments deleted???!

Aug 8, 20 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Regarding immigration, Germany was pretty liberal with the Youth Mobility Permit allowing Canadians up to and including age 35 to easily move over for a year to work, study or be a tourist. You only needed to demonstrate you had enough money to survive and didn't even need the promise of employment. Covid put a bit of a damper on that though, so I don't know if it's back on or not, even if Canadians are welcome in Germany.

I don't get the impression that architects are paid anymore in Europe compared to Canada. Germany does offer a pretty low cost of living in comparison to Canada however.

Aug 8, 20 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: