Archinect
anchor

Working For the National Park System or Government Job

Live OUTside

I am a bit lost at the moment. Im a semi recent graduate with a BS, and MArch degree. Ive interned and worked at a bunch of fields in the industry so far (5 and counting, and many of them not my cup of tea). Ive even found a fantastic job working for a luxury residential design firm actually as a designer. Everything is pretty much perfect with it (although i wish they worked with more sustainable design). But it still feels empty to me. More and more, I think all I really want is to just be outside. I love nature and the National Parks. So I am curious if anyone here has worked as an architect for the National Park System (Id prefer info on this or USFS), or some other government system doing architecture? What is it like? How is the office? (I know I cannot work in another windowless office ever again). The management/workflow? Do you get housing with them- how is it? And among the most important, hows the work flexibility and time off? Pay isn't the most important thing to me. I'd love the flexibility to take off for a month. I really want to backpack america's trail systems (hike the pacific crest trail system for 5 months). I want to just give it a shot, but I'd be crushed if I just joined another disappointing job and left what is probably the most satisfying career I've had to date. Additionally I am pursuing licensure and studying for exams. I know most government jobs don't require it. Would it help me? Or would I be stuck paying that license renewal fee every year in the thought I might do private practice again? Would I let it lapse? I know there is a lot of questions here but I am a bit lost at the moment in my career path. 

Jul 27, 20 12:51 am
senjohnblutarsky

I've not worked for a government agency.  But, I have agencies as clients.  My observations have been that outside firms do all the nice work, and the A/E's retained by the agency do all the very basic projects.  Things the agency is willing to own the liability for, and fairly mundane activities like roof replacements, asphalt resurfacing, 1:1 mechanical replacements.  Otherwise, they like to defer liability as much as possible. 

Jul 27, 20 9:07 am  · 
1  · 

I encourage you to listen to this podcast with Rusty Long. He offers some very practical tips on his experience working for the federal government as an architect. 

https://archinect.com/news/article/150118748/a-conversation-with-rusty-long-state-architect-furloughed-by-the-government-shutdown#:~:text=On%20this%20week%27s%20episode%20of%20Archinect%20Sessions%2C%20Ken%2C,and%20the%20history%20of%20the%20the%20American%20South.

Jul 27, 20 9:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Try to get a hold of Mark Brendanawicz, he might fill you in on what it is like!

Jul 27, 20 11:11 am  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: