Archinect
anchor

Accredited Degree for Jobs

kwanchan

Hello All,

Have been looking at job posts and see that some are asking for an accredited degree (B.Arch or M.Arch) as one of the requirements.

I have been practicing for 19 years and is licensed in New York. But I do not have an accredited degree, only a BS in Arch.

For me, being licensed and having the experience that I have should be enough to demonstrate my qualification? Just want to see what everyone thoughts are! Thanks!

Jul 20, 20 8:49 pm
midlander

best source for an answer would be the potential employer. but yes, already licensed with a relevant degree it's probably fine

Jul 21, 20 9:10 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

It is my understanding that the only reason employers really want a professional degree is to know that a prospective employee is able to obtain a license if they do not already have one, and, as I'm sure you know, a professional degree is the easiest/quickest way to go about that.  I am also curious about your question, as I also do not have a professional degree, but do have a license. (Not nearly as much experience though!)  

Jul 21, 20 9:55 am  · 
1  · 

It could also be that an employer is looking for someone to be licensed or have the ability to become licensed easily and quickly in multiple states.  For that to happen you need reciprocity and the only way I know of to gain that in all 50 states is with an accredited degree.  I know each state can have different requirements for licenture with a non accredited degree so I may be incorrect.   

Jul 21, 20 10:15 am  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

You are correct.

Jul 22, 20 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
kwanchan

Thanks the comments! I feel a bit relive now that my qualification should be sufficient. It's just that I haven't heard back from a few applications...maybe it's because most of my experience is from working aboard...but I guess only the employers would know for sure...

As for the reciprocity, I think you need to get the NCARB certificate and need to pay a fee for the to maintain your NCARB record? Personally I think this is ridiculous, isn't our license already sufficient to prove that we have met the requirements to practice? If certain states have specific requirements, that can be addressed by the applicant accordingly? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jul 21, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

The point of NCARB certificates, supposedly, is to make the whole process of getting reciprocal licensure in different state jurisdictions much easier. You can do it without NCARB, but it is not a straightforward process.

Jul 21, 20 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: