Equivalency of B.Arch degree (5 yrs) from India in Europe, UK & US


Hi everyone, 

I'm not sure how to put this question, but I'll try my best to make sense.

I am a graduate from India with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture. It was a 5 years course and I am registered with the Council of Architecture (COA) under the Government of India . I am now planning on doing my masters and I've been looking mainly at programmes in European countries. While researching, I realised that European countries follow something called the Bologna process where you do a three year B.A./B.Sc. course which prepares you for a two year M.A./M.Sc. course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only after this are you allowed to register as an architect. Here, I'm mainly talking about countries like Germany and Italy. I think it applies for UK too, only that they are called Part 1 and Part 2, and then you have to do a Part 3 to register as an architect.

So, my question is, since I have already done a 5 year bachelor programme and am a registered architect, when I apply for masters, should I apply for a two year M.A./M.Sc. course? If yes, wouldn't it be me doing my last two years in bachelors all over again? I believe they are also known as continuing masters in some places. If not, what type of courses should I apply for? What degrees should they be?

What degrees in US, UK and other European countries are equivalent to a 5 yr B.Arch from India?

I hope I make some sense. 

Jul 7, 20 10:08 am


I am final year architecture student and is planning on doing my masters in Europe as well. And this is the same problem I have been facing. Where you able to figure it out ? If yes, could you please explain it to me

Jun 7, 21 8:28 am  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: