Equivalency of B.Arch degree (5 yrs) from India in Europe, UK & US


Hi everyone, 

I'm not sure how to put this question, but I'll try my best to make sense.

I am a graduate from India with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture. It was a 5 years course and I am registered with the Council of Architecture (COA) under the Government of India . I am now planning on doing my masters and I've been looking mainly at programmes in European countries. While researching, I realised that European countries follow something called the Bologna process where you do a three year B.A./B.Sc. course which prepares you for a two year M.A./M.Sc. course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only after this are you allowed to register as an architect. Here, I'm mainly talking about countries like Germany and Italy. I think it applies for UK too, only that they are called Part 1 and Part 2, and then you have to do a Part 3 to register as an architect.

So, my question is, since I have already done a 5 year bachelor programme and am a registered architect, when I apply for masters, should I apply for a two year M.A./M.Sc. course? If yes, wouldn't it be me doing my last two years in bachelors all over again? I believe they are also known as continuing masters in some places. If not, what type of courses should I apply for? What degrees should they be?

What degrees in US, UK and other European countries are equivalent to a 5 yr B.Arch from India?

I hope I make some sense. 

Jul 7, 20 10:08 am


I am final year architecture student and is planning on doing my masters in Europe as well. And this is the same problem I have been facing. Where you able to figure it out ? If yes, could you please explain it to me

Jun 7, 21 8:28 am  · 

I dont know whether this answers your question or not, but here is what I understand about the degree process in the EU, UK or even US.

If you go for a M.Arch/M.S degree

  • Sure you would feel like you are repeating the last two years of your M.Arch degree from India. But it is important to understand the differences in the scopes of subjects taught. The courses you shall be doing will be much more challenging and demanding and not to mention much more advanced in nature.
  • You also get the additional perk of easier accreditation towards the title of an architect in a foreign country.
  • There are chances of you getting hold of a job that requires a formal architect's license.

However if you are not planning go ahead with the route above, you should look into these following courses :

  • AA's DRL Urbanism
  • TU Delft's post masters degrees
  • ETH Zurich's post masters degrees
  • MIT's SM.ArchS
  • Harvard's M.Arch II (Please double check with the name of the courses above)

These courses require a minimum of 5 year academic background. Some courses even go with the name of Advanced Architecture, MAAD or M.SAAD (eg. in Cornell)

Nov 11, 21 12:34 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: