Archinect
anchor

What is a fair compensation for design internship

WKCwalks

Hi. I run a small firm located in the NYC area. What do you think a fair hourly wage for a summer internship (20 hrs / week) for a current graduate student would be? I've heard from my colleagues what they typically pay these days, looked up AIA guidelines.  But want to hear from the perspective of a current student who are doing the work.

Jul 6, 20 11:19 am

We pay our summer interns $18 an hour here in western Colorado.  In NYC  I'd estimate around $30 an hour base solely on the cost of living increase.  I'm probably incorrect though.  Can't wait to see what locals say.  

Good on you for asking around though.  

Jul 6, 20 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Whoa. $30 seems really high.

Jul 6, 20 11:58 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

What kind of tasks are the interns doing for $18/hr?

Jul 6, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Drafting, attending meetings, creating presentation materials, research, ect. It's all supervised by an architect obviously. Basically it all depends on the individual intern and their experience and abilities.

Jul 6, 20 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Bench - $18 an hour here in Western Colorado roughly equals $30 in the less wealthy areas of NYC. Crazy I know.

Jul 6, 20 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

A wage of $30/hr is what they *should* pay but NYC offices are probably paying closer to $18/hr for summer interns. Less or a lunch stipend if they offer that *exposure* rarely found in western Colorado.

Jul 6, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Exposure isn't worth anything.

Jul 6, 20 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

What would be a fair wage for a intern who cannot draft?

Jul 6, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Like - can't operate any drafting software and has no idea how to draw up basic conceptual floor plans, sections, elevations, ect? We wouldn't hire that person. We don't care if you can draft up a set of CD's - we can teach you that.

Jul 6, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I'm thinking of what the starting wage should be for someone who can draw 3rd year arch school plans and elevations in CAD but will have to taught by us about all things to do with CDs.

Jul 6, 20 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

At my current firm - $15 -$18 an hour depending if they have previous work experience.

Our no experience interns right out of school typically make around $38k a year.  

Jul 6, 20 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

thisisnotmyname, the fair wage for an intern who cannot draft is $0.00. Due to the lack of knowledge and skills, I will not hire the intern.

Jul 6, 20 5:35 pm  · 
thisisnotmyname

@ChadMiller: in my area, the price of interns out of school has been bid up into low $50K range. @rcz: The schools in my area produce graduates with no knowledge of working drawings and they are the pool we are essentially forced to hire from. They only know a smattering of basic ACAD commands and just enough of some kind of 3D modeling and rendering combo to make their school assignments.

Jul 6, 20 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Where is your area though?

Jul 6, 20 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Those interns are not worth getting paid $50,000 a year. These interns might be worth getting paid $25,000 to $35,000 a year. If they have other valuable knowledge and skills, I might hire them.

Jul 6, 20 7:07 pm  · 
Steve1969

I thought that architects made like 200k a year. I get paid 65k to clean up hippo poo.

Jul 7, 20 2:25 am  · 
3  · 
lower.case.yao

Schools pay 20-25/hr for student jobs here in NY.

Jul 6, 20 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

$30/hr

Jul 7, 20 2:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: