Archinect
anchor

How do architects get paid in small boutique firms?

specificorange

Hi! I'm a recent grad considering going back to grad school for an M.Arch. I'm passionate about doing smaller scale projects (residential, small commercial, etc.) and I was wondering how architects at boutique firms get paid. How much is a typical fee? How does that get divided up between the architects at the firm? How long is a project and how many do you do per year? Thank you so much in advance for your time!

May 31, 20 11:44 am
whistler

Poorly! Boutique firms rarely pay well the principles may make a reasonable salary but few others make out very well.... It's not a business model that allows for everyone in the firm to be financially successful.

Jun 1, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I worked at a boutique firm in SF, it was a low paying 1099 job for 3 years, fun, and creative, but had to moonlight at two other offices to make ends meet. The two principals(husband and wife) were able to go on European vacations, but I was having to pull all nighters at my other gigs, sometimes work 36 hours straight across 3 jobs, slept in a rolled up carpet in the sample room. No I don't recommend it

Jun 1, 20 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

A contract for a townhouse can range from $150k to 600k (big spread) The last one I worked on, the arch fee was $450k, but that’s in NYC. So say you have two people working on the project, one makes 75k and another 85k; then you have office expenses etc: the principal might walk away with $200-250k depending on how the project is managed and if the engineers start charging additional services.

Jun 1, 20 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

roughly how many hours direct labor go into a project like that? i've never worked residential, often wondered.

Jun 3, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: