Archinect
anchor

Laptop Advice

conceptuarch

So, I am starting grad school in the Fall and I am searching for a new laptop.  My 2015 MacBook Pro just isn't cutting it anymore.  I need something that can handle heavy rendering, modeling, photoshop, video editing, etc. with a lot of storage compared to my current pathetic situation.  On the flip side, I also want something that isn't so cumbersome to schlep around NYC.  I am certainly no expert on anything relating to computer specs so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I am able to get a good deal on a ThinkPad P1 Gen2 (~$1800 from ~$4400, image attached) through my company.  I've heard that's a good laptop for my purposes but I've read so many suggestions so I really have no idea.

May 14, 20 3:23 pm
archreview

Yeah you are definitely going to need something with a dedicated graphics card. The Lenovo P1's aren't going to cut it, even if you get the version with the Nvidia Quadro T1000/T2000, its not the full power you need for rendering and video editing, especially at that price. I would recommend MSI, I've had good experiences with them lately. They make a lot of hideous RGB gaming laptops but their line of design workstations are sleek and very powerful. Look at the MSI GS65 Stealth, WS65, or P65 laptops. All of them are very thin, relatively light and pack a lot of performance with i7/i9 CPU's and new RTX cards capable of good rendering and video editing performance. I'm looking at one on amazon right now, RTX2070, 4k screen, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD for under $2500USD. The dragon logo isn't very professional but I just got an adhesive skin to cover it up. The WS65 comes sans dragon. 

New ASUS artbooks look really good with workstation RTX 5000 graphics cards in them, but they come at a price. Very small and attractive laptops though.

May 15, 20 12:37 am  · 
3  · 
conceptuarch

So I've been looking at the workstations. Can't really tell the difference between all the different ones like WS65, WS66, WS75.

Jun 10, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
archreview

WS66 is the updated version of WS65, I believe it can be configured with better specs. WS75 is just the 17" version.

Jun 11, 20 3:05 am  · 
1  · 
archreview

I would go on Amazon or your local specialty computer shop (not best buy) and look at the configurations that are in stock. Ordering a custom build takes a long time and is typically more expensive. This will give you an idea of what's available in your price range.

Jun 11, 20 3:07 am  · 
1  · 
conceptuarch

What would you say is the best bang for my buck I can get with an MSI laptop. Anything really powerful for under 2k?

Jun 21, 20 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I always check https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ for the current rankings of CPUs and try to buy the best I can afford. A good graphics card is a must (I second archreview on the Quadras), but the CPU is still more important - if I have to choose between fast CPU/not-so-fast GPU or vice versa, I always go for the fast CPU. Also, more RAM is always better, and nobody should be even thinking about mechanical drives anymore.

May 15, 20 6:52 pm  · 
2  · 
archreview

Yes absolutely. CPU first, GPU second. I wouldn't go anything less than 4 cores, 3GHz. Also, minimum 32GB RAM or more if you can afford it. I was once told that you should have 20x the RAM of your largest Revit file. Since you are at school, I don't imagine you working on large Revit files but a 1GB Revit file is not uncommon so 32GB would be the minimum I would recommend.

May 17, 20 10:12 pm  · 
1  · 
zonker

I got that exact Lenovo model , use it for Revit, it's able to do the heavy lifting on large building projects - it's a lot of capability for something that thin and light, which is great because I often have to walk 3.5 miles with it from were I work to home. 

May 16, 20 12:54 am  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

Do not buy an HP computer.  We own several right now and they are dreadful.  They are often the lowest price when compared to similar Dell or Lenovo, but I suspect that is because HP cuts corners on build quality and customer service.

Jun 5, 20 10:22 am  · 
2  · 
proximity

Can't disagree more with this. I have an HP Spectre x360 and it's a great performing, slim, lightweight, good looking computer. I see tons of people in my program with them, too. Maybe you're talking about their lower tier products.

Jun 25, 20 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

How long have you had it? You should be ok for 12 months or so before the problems start. We are running ZBooks and Envy series laptops.

Jun 28, 20 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
alikatircioglu
Sitting Duck

Does this not have a webcam? I'm on the market for a laptop and this seems perfect except for that. I would assume a student(og poster) heading off to college would want a webcam for all the zoom classes they will be doing.

Jun 12, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
alikatircioglu

Yes Susz, it is the only handicap about it.

Jun 13, 20 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
boraliaarthur

Huh, weird. I'm using my 2015 MBP and it's still as fast as the day I bought it. Never letting go of this thing. I use Photoshop a lot, some light video editing, and basic web browsing though. Nothing too heavy. I also always make sure to provide sufficient airflow (with a cooling fan) at the bottom of my machine to keep it from overheating and degrading.

Jun 14, 20 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Mattski

Guys, check it out. I recently bought versions with 1660 Ti and I am very happy with it 
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y540-15/p/88GMY501214

Jun 14, 20 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

If you want the best performance then i will suggest DELL and if you want cheap with the best performance than LENOVO.

Jun 30, 20 8:29 am  · 
 · 
nowsasertos

Well. Since you're going for a laptop and you're thinking about ThinkPad, you should go with Movavi as a video editor. Everything else is either super bloated or GPU dependant. Movavi is well optimized and you won't regreat using it. They even have decent online editor https://www.movavi.com/online-video-editor.html

May 30, 22 7:50 am  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

and an additional screen

Jun 19, 22 1:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: