Archinect
anchor

Architect Alternative Career Path Advice

aarf125

Hi! I am a 27 years old professional registered architect who recently just resigned from my last job as an architectural designer in a multi-national architecture design consultant company. Since I graduated as a bachelor of architecture around five years ago, I always work in an architecture design consultant company and even start my side project by establishing a small design firm with my college friends. 

But in recent years, I feel unsatisfied with the industry. Mostly because having long work hour(sometimes 90 hours/week), low wage compared to the working hour, toxic office environment, and fragile profession (for instance: in this pandemic condition, many projects are held until an unspecified time, and many architects in my country get big pay cut). Another thing is I do sometimes feel, "I don't have what it takes to be a conventional architect." - such as that kind of persistence that makes you stand still even facing a horrible client or boss.

Nowadays, I'm doing my project as a freelance architect, competition project, and enroll various course that's not directly related to architecture, such as learn to code with python, learn to develop own project as architect-developer while preparing for graduate school, which until now I'm still uncertain on what major to takes and what profession that is the best for me because I feel that I have much interest but unsure on which path that will take me to the optimal position.

So I need other people POV to advise my condition on a more objective side. Keep in mind that I still love doing architecture stuff; it just those conditions I stated above that making me eager to go on with the profession thoroughly.

Is it better for me to shift to more tech-related on AEC or real estate startup? (Based on the fact that currently, I enrolled on the coding related course and having so much enjoyed the time while learning this side of other industry and I have many connections with startup professional that maybe can be some leverage for my career)

Or, continue pursuing the architect-developer and business-related profession (I have some experience developing property by becoming an in-house architect lead for some new landed housing developer company and having some basic knowledge by working for the developer for almost five years)

Or, those whole things I said above is just a common thing for everyone who is in my position (not entry-level anymore, but also not in a senior position), and I just have to just swallow it and go along with this unideal architect industry.

Thanks for your help!

May 11, 20 1:40 pm
archeyarch

i would go into computer science. 

May 16, 20 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
robertdow

CS Department would be better.

May 16, 20 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
athensarch

I was in a similar situation to you at the same time in your career. I went to construction. The pay is better, stress is higher, hours are comparable, and deliverables are more straightforward. My former boss tried realestate developer as a side gig with a few experienced partners who needed an architect doing condo cul-de-sacs. If you try RE, look into self storage. We did a few jobs for clients in that space who described it as being a landlord but with far fewer demands. I'd explore CS more if you enjoy it. The people I know at Autodesk make double what I do but they work long hours and do a fair bit of travel.

May 16, 20 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Definitely do NOT go to graduate school without knowing what you want to do with it.  Collecting degrees and debts is not the solution to your dilemma.  All careers suck, they just suck in different ways.

May 16, 20 7:57 pm  · 
2  · 
mdhuang94

Try looking into Columbia's MSRED program. They just launched a proptech concentration that combines your interests in RE and tech. Its very new to where their website hasn't been updated, so you'll have to email the program director. good luck!

Jul 30, 20 9:55 am  · 
 · 
damilee

Wow I'm in a very similar place as you! I'm also 27, recently licensed, left my job a few months ago to explore other options. I'm also interested in the RE industry, tried applying to two companies as a "project coordinator", with no luck. I recently had a job offer from an interior design + architecture company where I would be the architect stamping drawings. They offered 70k which is far far beyond anything I could get from architecture firm, where I would be a junior/intermediate architect. I am learning that the license and experience means much more (compensation wise) if you go just outside of a traditional architecture office. I have also been speaking to different people who left the industry, including someone who transitioned to becoming a a senior experience designer at Slack. Here's the link to our interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OamupgVE6Gk&t=14s

I also signed up for a Career Shift program at Teal, I'm starting on Monday, so not sure how effective it will be, but it sounded interesting. 

Please update us or connect w me on linkedin! I'm curious to hear what you end up deciding on. 

Aug 8, 20 6:20 pm  · 
1  · 
Wall-E

Its funny how we drift off from the core architecture practice, so often and come back to it seeing no way around. I think these times are the worst for being a professional whose services are less required than other professional services like medicine. It takes us a lot of years to realize them same. My suggestion for you would be try looking for programs closely related to architecture. I would not chose a single program if I were you, but keep learning and getting to know RE, CS and maybe Construction management as well. It is not easy to know if we are actually interested in the field at the beginning. Once you are into it, you can start paving your path. Coding is the way to go. I find it interesting myself. The essential thing to would be question yourself how can you make use of all your skills and of course contacts) to develop yourself or to develop a company that can provide services that people actually need. or to re-frame - what problem can you solve with these skills?  For me- Coding opens the gateway to possibilities, if you enjoy it; definitely look into programs for masters. I think you have worked enough, you have good professional experience, now would be a good time to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses and work on them in your masters with learning a new skill. and ofcourse you will find the way. You can check out acadia, caadia, rob|Arch, digitalFutures and many other same platforms to see what people are doing in the field of CS and architecture.

Hope it helps!

Aug 9, 20 5:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: