Archinect
anchor

Finding a job in Ontario

Arismato

Hello everyone,

I have a bachelor and masters degree in Architecture from my home country and over 10 years of experience. I've been planning to move and work permanently in Canada for a long time. My only to options are either to get a job offer, which is nearly impossible from abroad, or to get a Canadian experience (degree - work). 

Here is what I've done so far:

- Applied for master programs and wasn't accepted at any for some reason
- Got all my degrees accredited by CACB
- Finished additional course (Arch:645) as part of the process
- Registered at OAA as Intern Architect
- Joined RAIC
- I have a valid visitor visa if that matters

I am considering now applying to technology programs to get hands-on experience and increase my chances to find a job. I would also be eligible to have a post graduate work permit to the same duration of my study. My question is which program will better serve my purpose? which college is better? and if there is any other option I am not aware of?

- Architectural technician (2 years)
- Architectural technology (3 years)
- Building Information Modelling (1 year)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

May 13, 20 2:04 pm
Non Sequitur

You've done about 50-times more work than the typical "I want a job in canada" posters.  It's refreshing to see.

Are you licensed in your home country? If so, you could apply for reciprocal licensure in Canada if you meet the minimum experience criteria.  Besides this, most college-level building tech courses will introduce you, in a general way, to our building code (OBC for ontario) and some construction practices.  It will also bring you up to speed with expected documentation requirements... but if you have quality experience and a good foundation, this will feel like a step back.  Best option is to look at the large firms in whatever city you want to relocate and see if they have openings.  The timing sucks for this now, but this will pass so perhaps you can start to build a list of contacts. 

What city are you looking to eventually study/work in?  

May 13, 20 2:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Arismato

Thank you for your quick reply. I posted this a while ago but it was only approved now. I did more research into the programs offered, and learned that I can get into advanced standing given my current education. I am still a little hesitant though, because as you said it may feel like a step back. I posted here for someone to assure me that my plan isn’t completely insane. Following you in other threads, I know you would tell me the truth no matter how hard it is :) 

Answering your questions, Architecture isn't regulated in my home country, and we can use the title Architect immediately after graduation. For the last five year I have been working in a different country where I am also licenced. My work involves more urban planning than architecture. So I don’t believe I have the solid experience to be qualified for the BEFA pathway. I attended a workshop in Toronto in 2018, and applied for two companies I got in touch with during the workshop, both in GTA. They were interested and contacted me for interviews. Unfortunately I was back by then and they didn't go further with my application because I have no status in Canada. That's the reason I gave up on applying from abroad. I would love to go back to Toronto but I won't be so picky if I found a job somewhere else. 

Anyway, I will keep shortlisting the colleges and programs and hope that whatever happens will be for the best. I believe studying tech program for 2 years will be good enough to gain more knowledge, build some contacts, and allow life to get back to normal by then. 

Thank you again for your help.

May 13, 20 3:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers. Looks like you've done as much as possible. You'll find that the college tech diplomas attract many foreign-trained professionals as students since I think it is the easiest way to merge into the industry here. The unfortunate thing is you may get hired as an arch-tech instead of an architect. Not terrible if it gets you into an office but there is less room to move up the chain this way. Best of luck. There is lots of construction in Ontario, perhaps there is an office with projects active in your current location (or close). That may be where you start looking.

May 13, 20 4:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Monaco69

Can you apply for immigration to Canada first (the whole process usually take more than a year, have a job offer first can add points to your application but you are doing it the other way around anyway) then apply to jobs when it's almost time for you to physically be there? 

Jul 23, 20 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

That doesn't sound like something that normally happens, unless there's more context (IE moving to Canada already on a marriage visa, etc.)

Jul 24, 20 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Monaco69

Not really, Canada/Australia/NZ all have immigration programs for 'high tech' (not STEM) people. Ten years of work experience adds a lot of points in the application but beware of your age if you wanna go with this route. The application process is done in your own country, you go there when you get the visa and start serving the years till you can get permanent residency. Many people from my country have moved to Canada in the 90s and early 00s via this route. Because these people graduate from good local universities (no overseas experience) so it's quite economical and somewhat time-saving (usually under 2 years).

Jul 25, 20 4:30 am  · 
 · 
Monaco69

Not really, Canada/Australia/NZ all have immigration programs for 'high tech' (not STEM) people. Ten years of work experience adds a lot of points in the application but beware of your age if you wanna go with this route. The application process is done in your own country, you go there when you get the visa and start serving the years till you can get permanent residency. Many people from my country have moved to Canada in the 90s and early 00s via this route. Because these people graduate from good local universities (no overseas experience) so it's quite economical and somewhat time-saving (usually under 2 years).

· 
Monaco69

· 
apscoradiales

The only reason why the two Canadian companies were interested in you is because they see you as cheap labour.

No other reason - trust me.

They couldn't give a shiet about your degrees, most of your education or experience.

You would be new to the country, so you'd be told to work all kinds of hours, way beyond the normal 37.5/40 per week for just a bit above min. wage, and they would tell you you're lucky to have a job.

I have worked in architectural profession for nearly 40 years and have seen people coming to Canada from different places with degrees and qualifications that would make you weep, and yet they end up doing crap for min. money.

My suggestion, stay home!

Jul 25, 20 10:46 am  · 
Non Sequitur

this is grossly inaccurate...

Jul 26, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: