Archinect
anchor

CLT Wall - Concrete foundation

mxcluskey

Currently in the middle of my Graded unit and I'm having trouble finding any details that I can go off of to create my own CLT wall - Concrete foundation.  Could an experienced individual please tell me where i have went wrong - and how I could adjust the detail to make it correct? Thank you. 

May 2, 20 11:03 am
bowling_ball

You could do your own homework, but you've chosen to ask others to do it for you. If you can't figure out how to Google "CLT details," good luck.

May 2, 20 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
mxcluskey

This forum is my last resort in these desperate times. I have a lecturer who rarely gets back to me. All i have been doing is scouring the internet the past few days, taking points from several drawings and descriptions. All i'm asking for is some guidance. There's no need for the smart arse comment.

May 2, 20 12:11 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Are you f@©£ing kidding me?

May 2, 20 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

you can find example details here: https://www.kueng-holz.ch/de

and you can also give them a call or send an email--most fabricators will help walk you through joint detailing.  

personally, I have always attached CLT to concrete the same way I do regular timber framing to concrete:  either you nail into a sleeper which has been fixed to the concrete below, OR (in the case of heavy timber)  there's an embedded steel plate which gets bolted to the timber above.  

May 2, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I don't have experience with CLT but I'm interested. Have you ever used Timberlinx connectors for them? I use Timberlinx regularly with residential scale heavy timber.

May 2, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

wood guy, no, i have not used them, but they look cool. my experience is first as a carpenter and we mostly did traditional joinery or would custom fabricate connections out of steel plate.

May 2, 20 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

I too have never used them in a project however they look interesting. They look like they could be good for load bearing walls and long span floors / roofs.

Oct 5, 20 10:44 am  · 
 · 
natematt

There are probably 20 ways to do the CLT to foundation part of this detail alone

Look at the detail guides from a manufacturer, If I remember correctly Nordic has some pretty good detail guides for their CLT product on their website. The reality is you can do completely different details than the guides if you have a good engineer, but for a school project, just pick something that works for you and do it. 

Don't do what rick is suggesting (sorry rick). It's more appropriate for something like a glulam column, but it's a really fussy way to do a CLT wall that would only make sense if you were using the CLT as the finish face of the wall on both sides, and then you could do better with a similar detail using epoxy.

The rest of your detail is a mess. If you're doing the wall with CLT like that then you should not have batt insulation  on the exterior, only rigid (XPS). Throw an air and water barrier between the insulation and the CLT, and have flashing at the bottom of the insulation that directs the water out, not wood blocking. Depending on your finish you could also use a Semi-rigid product like mineral wool, which would work well with what I have to assume is some type of rain screen cladding. 

The floor is not legible enough to comment on. 

May 4, 20 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Your line weights need work

May 4, 20 6:42 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

put it on the slab and hide the anchor at the interior with space for services to run over slab, underfloor heating, and finish floor layers

besides that your detail is faulty in several ways, to start:

1. you need continuous insulation around your slab (both sides and under) connecting to the insulation of the exterior wall

2. you need an air gap between your insulation and your cladding (how is the cladding attached?)

May 4, 20 8:59 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I like how we're adding mouse holes to our buildings now

May 4, 20 10:49 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

good thing theyre not thru and thru huh?

May 4, 20 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

khl.at has all kinds of details. look them up.

Oct 3, 20 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Did you draw that detail at the base or did you pull it from some place?

Lots of things wrong with it, but amongst it is that you don not fasten Massivholz wall to the floor finish as shown in the detail.

That floor is an "estrich" type floor. You must attach the wall to the concrete, not the floor finish.

Flashings, waterproofing, air/vapour barriers are missing. Battens for exterior cladding are missing. So is the thermal break insulation at the junction between the slab and the foundation wall. Special board that goes on top of the foundation wall and the underside of the massivholz wall is missing. Strapping on the wall for gwb is missing....Top of foundation wall and the concrete slab should line up, not have a situation where the foundation goes higher than the slab. You don't have enough air space behind the exterior cladding; should do min. 25-30mm.

Like I said above, KHL has good details you can use, but even they are not perfect. Study how floors/walls/roofs are constructed in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia. Residential construction in North America is nothing short of bloody horrible. Don't follow it if you want to have a durable wall or building CMHC (Google them) have good details for non-residential construction.

Oct 4, 20 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

mxcluskey: If you go to the CLT manufacturer's website such as Nordic Structures or KLH they will have suggested details for a lot of different conditions. I would start there and combine that with your research of wall construction as apscoradiales suggested. I would also try to find existing CLT projects and see if they have provided details.

Oct 5, 20 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: