Archinect
anchor

Advice: Residential Cob Construction & Permitting

CultofCuriosity

So I've had some schooling in interior design, and have a decent understanding of building codes. My personal interests have lead me toward the prospect of building a (small) cob home. I'm definitely in the research phase of this, and would like to plan for as much as I can, especially when it comes to getting the permit to build the thing. I recently read that the International Code Council approved and passed the proposed Cob Construction Appendix for inclusion into the 2021 International Residential Code. The city I live in is still using the 2012 code for most permitting. So I'm trying to figure out if an argument could be made for using that appendix to guide my decisions in planning moving forward? Any ideas on how this might play out or general advise?

Apr 26, 20 11:27 am
Non Sequitur

Is COB not some sort of earth-ship type construction? I cannot see anyways a generic international code holds weight for local permits.  Don't they have higher standards with seismic, structure. HVAC, site, etc... This shit is not superseded by IBC when there is a local/regional code in place.

Hire a professional to deal with the code hurdles and construction details.  

Apr 26, 20 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

meet with your local building officials, present the case.  If they have no good reason to refuse, then get the right attorney.

Apr 26, 20 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: