Archinect
anchor

Is my architecture career ruined?

Thebus001

Made a bad decision a few years ago and ended up with an arrest and possibly a felony (tho after probation, it will be possible to drop the charge). It was due to a debilitating depression that took a hard toll on me for 2 years. Luckily, I left my last architecture job before I hit rock bottom, still my performance at the firm left a lot to be desired. It’s been over 2 years since my last job and I’ve taken the initiative to become licensed (currently taking AREs) in order to increase my chances of employment, but the charge is always a lingering reminder of a troubled past. I’m 28 now and if I plan on entering the field again (assuming corona doesn’t decimate the industry), should this be something I address with potential employers? Should I keep this to myself in hopes they never know? Or am I doomed to flip burgers at MD? 

Apr 24, 20 7:03 pm
SneakyPete

Often a felony prevents you from licensure or, if you are licensed, may result in a loss of your license. My personal opinion is that, as humans, we all make mistakes, and some of those are considered felonies under the law. That should not prevent you from being a functioning member of society, though. 

I'd suggest making sure your state does not bar licensure for felons, then simply be honest. Certain states bar employers from inquiring about felonies, some until later in the process of interviewing. But at no point should you lie, as that would be grounds for dismissal and likely a challenge to unemployment claims.

I AM NOT A LAWYER. These are my opinions and you should seek legal council if you need to know your rights.

Apr 24, 20 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

I swear this post has been posted before.

Apr 24, 20 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150141838/what-are-the-chances-of-rebuilding-my-architecture-career

It was. Saying it was only a "bad decision" is putting it lightly.

Apr 24, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, I remember reading this post before too. It is worth remembering, as my answer was YES, your dream career was and is over, and I think flipping burgers is not happening in this new Covid-19 world.

Flipping burgers, that tells you that it was an earlier posting.

Apr 24, 20 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
alikatircioglu

“The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all His works.” Psalm 145:8-9

You will be fine and great at your career, best of luck! 

Apr 26, 20 3:21 am  · 
Non Sequitur

What a load of bullshit. Keep the superstitious nonsense out of this.

Apr 26, 20 6:11 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Non, how do you know god is nonsense? Seem pretty convinced. I’d say it’s like a belief. No one knows, so any strong opinion one way or another is a belief. What exactly gives your belief more validity? Do you understand what happened before the Big Bang? What caused the universe to pop into existence? Your arrogance carries over into nearly every subject discussed. You were convinced! That covid wasn’t from a lab....well It likely was based on new evidence...you are so convinced about things. It’s almost like....well....a religious attitude...

May 5, 20 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It is. Not a difficult question.

May 5, 20 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

well obviously you should not tell anyone when you apply for a job and just hope they don't do a background check.

May 5, 20 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I don't think this is good advice. You run the risk of immediate termination and loss of unemployment eligibility. Might also get hit with a civil suit if they decide you caused them da mages.

May 5, 20 6:00 pm  · 
2  · 
Koww

i wouldn't say anything until the charge is dropped / clear my record. you shouldn't just blurt shit out for no reason. if you do, you're not a good candid ate as an employee so there's no risk of getting terminated bc you not gonna get hired to begin wit. if you do get hired and put on some project that requires a background check, then i would say something.

May 5, 20 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Da mages is also a pretty good speed metal band from toronto.

May 6, 20 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, to be blunt.

With your criminal history, you may want to a developer.

May 5, 20 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

All I know for sure is that you are GUILTY of committing a repost!

May 6, 20 8:22 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: