Archinect
anchor

Advice for someone considering moving into architecture

alexcope

Hi all,

I was hoping I might be able to get some insights from students and practicing architects at any level concerning the type of day-to-day work they do. What is the most rewarding thing about your job, and what's the worst thing? 

I finished my bachelor's of commerce majoring in marketing and business law 2 years ago and I'm working for a risk consultancy firm but not enjoying myself and the work I'm doing. Circumstances when I was at uni, both financial and time-wise, kind of forced me to finish that degree and get a job, but I'm in a position now to reconsider a career and architecture keeps popping up and was something I was always interested in.

I've reached out to local firms, and Linked-in has been a great resource, but the resounding sentiment, at least here in Australia, has been to not do it. The pay is terrible, the hours are long, the work is stressful, and that I should consider something else if I'm willing to put in the effort to change my career trajectory. I was going to move down a creative advertising/design route but wanted to deal with more intrinsic things, such as buildings. 

My stepdad owned a firm in Australia for many years but wasn't successful until his late 50's when he was the lead architect on a rather iconic building, and even he has said to consider something else.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts and insights as I'm at a bit of a crossroad and I'm not sure what to do with myself.

Thanks,

AC

Apr 23, 20 12:54 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

kimarum

Yup...Don't do it~

But if you can take over your stepdad's firm...then you will have a leg up...something to consider.

Apr 23, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Yeah, both what your connections said and your stepdad's situation are typically true, unfortunately. It's getting better, but you still need to love the job to stay at it long enough, from building code to doing details to sacrificing your first-born to construction management...

Having a business/marketing degree will probably help you, but the creative marketing gig sounds better overall to pursue; can do marketing for a firm and see how the work is like. Wouldn't recommend architecture tbh

I guess to the positive bit of your question, it's fairly enjoyable making an elegant and well-drawn solution to something

Apr 23, 20 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Zulqar

do it if you have a stash of cash to pay bills for next 5 years

Apr 23, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
atelier nobody

I have no idea how different Oz is from the US, so take this FWIW, but my experience is that the constant complaints about how "[t]he pay is terrible, the hours are long, the work is stressful," etc. are a little overblown. It is certainly true that we are paid less than other professions requiring similar education and certification, and some offices do overwork their staff (some quite badly), but for the most part, most of us are reasonably comfortable.

My general advice is, if you love architecture, then you can have a good career, but if you don't love it (even if you kind of like it) then there's a very good chance you'd be happier doing something else. Unfortunately, sometimes the only way to find out whether you love it is to try it, with all of the education and entry level wages that entails...

Apr 23, 20 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
square.

agreed, the difficulty is that it is VERY hard to know if you love buildings when you are studying architecture in school. there are many threads about the dichotomy between the two, but the best thing to do would be to intern at an office if possible, in order to know what getting a building built really entails. it's quite a lot and can be a slog a lot of the time; school will never be able to prepare you for that specific part of the career.

Apr 24, 20 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Step dad is telling you "no".  Contacts are telling you "no".  Most of the people on this forum are telling you "no".  So now what?  Are you going to keep shopping around until you find somebody to give you permission?  OK, I will.  Follow your dream (although it sounds kinda luke warm), but when it turns into a nightmare, don't say you weren't warned.

Apr 24, 20 9:10 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i'm always happy to raise my hand and admit that i like my job. i feel well paid, and while i probably do work a lot it's just kind of how i am (i also take 90 minute lunches when i please, so there's some balance to it). it did take a lot of moving around and job hopping to find somewhere i fit in. my observation is that people with deep roots in a specific location struggle to follow the best opportunities.

it's a good job for calm workaholics who don't really give a damn what other people think. that you're asking this question suggests you'll struggle on that last point.

Apr 24, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 
midlander

to add: people who really love buildings in any way find a lot to enjoy in the career. people who get into architecture because they have some attraction to the imagined lifestyle don't.

Apr 24, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 
zonker

As long as you don't mind downturns that can destroy you're life savings - the economic co consequences of failure are deterrent to the faint of heart

Apr 24, 20 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: